from Bare Bones to one bulb short of finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
There are actually two of the lights. I took the other down when the short lived bulb burnt. The second one is for the night time heat emitter.

But here it is

6x4, 4 in organic potting soil under about an half in of coconut coir, plywood and foam mat underneath all that. 2ft walls. Clay pot hides. Plan to add a few more

Attachments

• IMG_20130428_192500.jpg
    IMG_20130428_192500.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 107

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Oh nice, I would add more soil and substrate. 4inches is a good start but they will def dig and love to dig.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking nice. I would add so e plants for hiding, eating and to make him feel more comfy.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
I will see how my fella behaves and add soil as needed.

OK so I wanted to add plants but had some trouble nailing down exactly what would be safe and also available at local garden center. Suggestions are welcome

Tho I did manage to find that tiny aloe as nibbles

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Spider plants, hibiscus, opuntia cacti, aloe, pepperoma, geraniums, pansy/viola, nasturtiums, herringbone plant
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ (this site is good for plant recommendations and safe plants to eat outdoors)

I second the recommendation to add more soil for digging-mine love to dig and it helps them feel secure.Great you have a habitat all set up before you pick up the tortoise.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
See how he does. You can even add more substrate just on one side, or mounded up around a clay pot hide on its side, for example.
Very nice size and side height!

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
lynnedit said:
See how he does. You can even add more substrate just on one side, or mounded up around a clay pot hide on its side, for example.
Very nice size and side height!

Thanks and so far he's been just fine with the amount of substrate but I'm paying attention just in case I need to add more. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice size enclosure.

He doesn't need night heat unless your home gets as cold as a refrigerator at night. Does he have an outdoor enclosure too?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Nice. Has he totally trashed it yet? I make mine look all nice and a few laps later it's a mess!!

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Tom said:
Nice size enclosure.

He doesn't need night heat unless your home gets as cold as a refrigerator at night. Does he have an outdoor enclosure too?

Well that is good news. Then ill only need the night heat in the winter months. House stays pretty consistent 70/75.

His outdoor enclosure is next. Tho I do have a makeshift one for supervised outdoor visits for now.

Joanne said:
Nice. Has he totally trashed it yet? I make mine look all nice and a few laps later it's a mess!!

Lol not yet he is still acclimating.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
These additions were made before little Tusya moved in.

Attachments

• IMG_20130507_231010.jpg
    IMG_20130507_231010.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27

Lstrayer92

5 Year Member
Yeah I'd see how yours behaves digging wise because my male russian didn't really dig at all

Status
Not open for further replies.