Frog I.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
I've been going crazy all summer trying to figure out what is making this loud chirping noise. I only hear it at night, and I don't live near a water source.

At first I thought it was a bird, but I couldn't see one flying around in the flashlight beam. Tonight I finally found what it was. I saw a very tiny frog sitting on a leaf calling.... five very quick chirps every 10 seconds or so.

I have never heard, nor seen this type of frog around this part of Texas, and I've lived here all of my life. I took this picture with my phone. I hope someone can identify it. Thanks!

Frogpicture.jpg

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a tree frog. For such a small animal, they have the LOUDEST chirp!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
What species of tree frog? It doesn't have the typical "tree frog" look though. I've caught several tree frogs in East Texas and none of them look, or sound like these. These sound like a bird chirping at night. This one is very short and stocky, not typical of what I'm used to seeing.

-Matt

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think that when you compare size to noise ratio, frogs are probably the loudest out there.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would say a spring peeper.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, Larry...that's what I've heard them referred to as here in my area. I'm not an expert on frogs.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
In my area this frog is known as a "Spring Peeper" (Pseudacris crucifer). They're very common around here but interestly they aren't easy to find when you go searching for one! They are very small and elusive. I find them quite often in sphagnum moss when I'm picking it.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
We have some aroung here(New England) that change color like a cameleon. And I can say they are very loud, especially when they come out in droves . They look alittle different than your pic and I think aroung here they are Grey tree frogs. (Maybe not even close.)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It gets SO LOUD here sometimes its deafening!
At work I actually have people call to complain and want us to do something about it..
I have some that live near the water faucet, in the dogs water bucket and by the porch light. Great food source for them! light=bugs...

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Thanks for all the responses guys! I've watched videos of spring peepers calling and they sound nothing like what this one does. I don't see much of a resemblance either. There are about four of them spaced out around the neighborhood calling out to one another. I don't live near a water source and these are calling from my bushes along the fence. I took a video of it calling, but can't get it out of my phone to where I can post it.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.