Friday- Matilda check in

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Nothing important here, just rambling.... just finished fertilizing the back yard so I opened Matilda's enclosure top.....it rained most of the day here today so you know that she was in all her glory!

I gave her two ripe "halfsmushed so she can eat 'em" cherries and a plum, skin removed on part of course. She had broccoli and red sweet pepper for the 1st time, she was not impressed with either.

No sign of the tree frog I put in a week ago and I introduced a very small baby Northern ring neck yesterday, course he was nowhere to be seen, as expected. I actually caught him in my office yesterday & tucked him in my lunch bag.....I had a bid due so I didn't look for the other 20<LOL> that were sure to be around somewhere.

Here's a new subject;

One pic taken from the deck....you can see Matilda under the screening(11 oclock).......she's incredibly brave when the screening is down and it's very obvious by her drastic behavior changes, that it provides her a huge sense of safety.

Here's my take, feel free to correct or discuss;

Before anyone takes odds with my view, let me share that besides all my hardtop friends, I also used to own a large(for home pets) Spectacled Caiman for several years, many, many years ago. After owning him and invoking every method of differentiation, I am a firm believer that our little guys, just like my 4.5ft'er are all instinct-driven with little room for conscious thought. It certainly would explain their relative success for 240 million years.

Back to the point;
I try to imagine, as many do, what the world could look like from our little guy's view with their built-in instinct. It could be her point of view that when we erected the walls of her home, we locked out and possibly in her mind, we removed a large area of 360 degree predation. Then with the top screened, we just removed another 1/2 of all possible predators, from the sky. There is one opening on the clasp end of 1.25 inch along the end, very little can get in there.

When the screen goes up, she will often literally sprint(funny as heck to see) to safety.....survival instinct.

jeff

Attachments

• 8-20-21 Mati.png
    8-20-21 Mati.png
    594.4 KB · Views: 21

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Nothing important here, just rambling.... just finished fertilizing the back yard so I opened Matilda's enclosure top.....it rained most of the day here today so you know that she was in all her glory!

I gave her two ripe "halfsmushed so she can eat 'em" cherries and a plum, skin removed on part of course. She had broccoli and red sweet pepper for the 1st time, she was not impressed with either.

No sign of the tree frog I put in a week ago and I introduced a very small baby Northern ring neck yesterday, course he was nowhere to be seen, as expected. I actually caught him in my office yesterday & tucked him in my lunch bag.....I had a bid due so I didn't look for the other 20<LOL> that were sure to be around somewhere.

Here's a new subject;

One pic taken from the deck....you can see Matilda under the screening(11 oclock).......she's incredibly brave when the screening is down and it's very obvious by her drastic behavior changes, that it provides her a huge sense of safety.

Here's my take, feel free to correct or discuss;

Before anyone takes odds with my view, let me share that besides all my hardtop friends, I also used to own a large(for home pets) Spectacled Caiman for several years, many, many years ago. After owning him and invoking every method of differentiation, I am a firm believer that our little guys, just like my 4.5ft'er are all instinct-driven with little room for conscious thought. It certainly would explain their relative success for 240 million years.

Back to the point;
I try to imagine, as many do, what the world could look like from our little guy's view with their built-in instinct. It could be her point of view that when we erected the walls of her home, we locked out and possibly in her mind, we removed a large area of 360 degree predation. Then with the top screened, we just removed another 1/2 of all possible predators, from the sky. There is one opening on the clasp end of 1.25 inch along the end, very little can get in there.

When the screen goes up, she will often literally sprint(funny as heck to see) to safety.....survival instinct.

jeff
I always had the same reaction in jr & sr high after gym class with no clothes, a 6 inch towel & no hot water in the shower room.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Near as we can tell Mag, she's around 15 months. She seems to like her home and I leave all kinds of treats around for her to find, most seem to decay into the ground but that's okay too since that soil needs some bio's,

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hope Matilda didn't get flooded early this morning. We got a ton of rain!

Do you throw anything overtop when we are expecting a ton of rain?