Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineapple

5 Year Member
As anyone had any luck freezing their fresh greens? I heard you can chop it up and put it in an ice cube tray and then just pop out one each day and defrost. My tort is so small that he only eats a small amount before it goes bad. With winter approaching I'm forced to buy a lot of my greens from the grocery store.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would think it would be really soggy and slimy. However, you could try drying them if the freezing doesn't work. There is a member that does dry stuff for the torts to eat.

pineapple

5 Year Member
I've had my RT about a month and I've never seen him eat dried leaves. He seems to only like the fresh stuff.

pineapple

5 Year Member
After a few trial and errors I've found that chopped kale and mustard greens freeze great in an ice cube tray. Spring Mix does not! I put out 2 cubes at night before bed on a paper towel wrapped tight over a bowl. In the am the ice has melted away and the greens are perfectly ready to mix in with my zoo med.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So you put the chopped greens in water and basically make ice cubes full of greens?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Frozen greens generally turn to mush, like when you buy frozen spinach, but does the tort really care?

I was considering doing this myself since mine is still small and the greens always go bad before it can eat them. It has no problem eating mushy Mazuri.

pineapple

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:
So you put the chopped greens in water and basically make ice cubes full of greens?

Yeah, just chop them, stuff into the tray and cover with water. I froze them overnight, popped them out of the mold, and store them in a ziplock bag. Collard and mustard greens are the only ones that have worked. They really aren't all that wilty and mushy...they look good!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
pineapple said:
Yeah, just chop them, stuff into the tray and cover with water. I froze them overnight, popped them out of the mold, and store them in a ziplock bag. Collard and mustard greens are the only ones that have worked. They really aren't all that wilty and mushy...they look good!

Thanks! That's a very hand tidbit of info! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.