Freezing

chapdaab

Location (City and/or State)
Dickinson
So we’re I love in the winter it can get to -30 or lower with windchill just wondering what size enclosure I will need . I understand heated for sure and insulated and all that but they will be in it allot of the winter due to temperatures and snow but I want to be able to go out and be with them as well.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They will probably hibernate if that cold.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Are you from Dickinson, North Dakota? Having lived in North Dakota (Minot) myself for 2.5 years I would not recommend trying to keep any species of tortoise outdoors there through the winter months, whether awake or in brumation. You will need to provide an indoor enclosure for your tortoise(s) from about early October into early May. Average ambient air temperature, along with constant winds (wind chill factor) drive the frost very deeply into the ground in the upper Midwest. While North Dakota does get snow, it's usually not enough to create a constant insulating layer to keep whatever is in the ground at a stable temperature. A heated outdoor enclosure for a tortoise essentially requires a dedicated building that is well insulated, heated with primary and back up heat and correct lighting. You then have to be concerned about cold spikes, power outages and equipment failure. If any of those happen temperatures will drop very quickly and could be fatal to a tortoise. For the safety and well being of your tortoise you would be much better off housing them indoors through the winter months where temperatures and light can be better controlled without fear of a catastrophe happening. You can always put them outdoors every summer in a well set up, secure outdoor enclosure

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Sulcatas do not brumate, if temps were that low then they will become lethargic but would not brumate. You’ll have to build a heated shed or something similar to that to keep your sulcata in that for the winter.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Unless your a millionaire, housing 4 adult Sulcatas in North Dakota is not going to be feasible.