freezing cactus pads

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I can special order cactus pads through my local food store but only by the 25 lb box. It's cheap at only $25 per box but I'm not sure the best way to store it as I only have a smaller 13 lb Leopard and 25 lbs goes a long way.

When I google freezing cactus pads, it looks like people scrape the spines off cut the pads into strips and boil for 1 minute before putting into freezer bags and freezing for up to a year.

Has anyone tried this for their tortoise or have any suggestions on longer term storage?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

ArmadilloPup

Location (City and/or State)
NE Oklahoma
Yes! You can blanch dark greens in the same way. The consistency will be mushy when thawed, and the blanching process doesn't smell great. But it leaves much of the nutrition intact.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I froze some for my hatchling.
I cut it right before freeze now I take a piece out and microwaved it for 10-15 seconds. Scoop it with spoon, mix vitamins in and he loves it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have for years used a food processor and diced them up and freeze.
A whole pad freezes really well if you have the bag sealing machine that gets all/most the air out. I freeze large bags of leaves with the vacuum sealing bags. They all freeze much better if you can get the air out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be prepared. That's a lot of cactus. I buy the same size from my local store for about 20 bucks give or take a dollar. Depends on their price at the time. I was shocked the first time I bought it with how many there were.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Last year I dehydrated a bunch of pads. I cut them up in long thin strips then dehydrated and put them in bags in the fridge. Once a week or so I would take a handful out, rehydrate in fresh water and combine with other greens & Mazuri. Never that mushy consistency & our Sully devoured them. Luckily, our local market carries them all year long so i just purchase a few pads every few weeks.

So, dehydrating pads works ✅

ps, i use this dehydrator ➡️➡️➡️ https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Nesco...EngoDwSCblMepaRK08QaAiutEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi Wellington,

I'm in the NW burbs from you and the Jewel out here has them hit or miss so I ordered a whole case and have been waiting a few weeks for them.

What local chain has them by you?

Phil