Free Time Projects

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Got more pics today @turtlesteve . There are three shorties and two tall ones. The tall ones are obvious W. robusta. The shorter ones are clearly not W. filifera. The trunks seem kind of fat in relation to the height, but they might be full robusta too.
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The remaining leaves turned brown and died, but the new leaves coming from the centers are still green and growing.
IMG_0462.jpgIMG_0463.jpg

I flood the basins every other day.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Looks good. Take a sharpie marker and mark all of the spear leaves at the base of the palms. This way you can see how much they are growing.

Rule of thumb is that once you get 3” or more of new growth, the transplants are likely to survive.

The small palm I planted is definitely a hybrid, by the way. We had a bunch of rain recently and all my pure filifera seedlings are looking like death - just can’t handle being wet all the time. The one in the ground is still happy and growing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom, I hope you don't mind if I share your thread. This is a "volunteer" that sprouted right next to the fence in the Radiata yard. I thought it was interesting that something ate off the tips of one of the fronds when it had first sprouted. It gives it different look:

Palm a.jpgPalm b.jpg

Then a couple years ago I mentioned on the Forum that I was looking for the type of palm that would grow fruit that I could feed my yellowfooted tortoises and @Turtulas-Len sent me a whole bunch of seeds. This is what they look like after a couple years:
Palm c.jpg

I'll be planting them in the YF yard maybe next spring (unless they outgrow their pot before that).

Reactions: Tom

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yvonne, what did the seeds look like?

The cocasoid (coconut-related) palms generally have large-ish edible fruit. The species most relevant are Butia, Syagrus and Jubaea. The seeds look like tiny coconuts with three eyes.

Hard to tell from the picture what you got there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne, what did the seeds look like?

The cocasoid (coconut-related) palms generally have large-ish edible fruit. The species most relevant are Butia, Syagrus and Jubaea. The seeds look like tiny coconuts with three eyes.

Hard to tell from the picture what you got there.
they were so tiny that they must've blown all over my yard because ever since I've found sprouted palm trees in the oddest places.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks good. Take a sharpie marker and mark all of the spear leaves at the base of the palms. This way you can see how much they are growing.

Rule of thumb is that once you get 3” or more of new growth, the transplants are likely to survive.

The small palm I planted is definitely a hybrid, by the way. We had a bunch of rain recently and all my pure filifera seedlings are looking like death - just can’t handle being wet all the time. The one in the ground is still happy and growing.
I didn't mark it but both have grown around three inches already. Thanks for this tip. I'll mark them today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the green fronds that were on these little trees promptly turned brown and died after re-planting. I didn't think these little palms were going to make it. Well... they did. They are growing and producing new fronds now.
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't take current pics, but wanted to leave an update. The palm trees appear to be thriving and doing very well. I'll try to remember to take pics soon.