Free Time Projects 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Let me know if they end up taking, and if you'd like to sell one! Should only be about an hour drive, without traffic that is and depending on where in Santa Clarita you are. I wouldn't mind the drive at all. I called a couple Orange County nurseries this morning and none of them carry the fruitless variety.
Ok Great. I'm happy to share! Check back here on this thread, or send me a private message in two or three weeks. I'm supposed to see some new growth starting by then.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Tom, I think both of those are M. alba, although I’ll admit I am less certain of the 2nd one. Red mulberry should have leaves 2x the size of white mulberry, leaf surfaces that are less shiny, and the serrations on the leaf edges are smaller/finer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This project is a 100% failure. Not one single tree grew for me. After seeing no development at all, I decided to pull one up and see if there was any root formation at all. Nothing. I'll have to do more research to see if I can find another way to do it.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
This project is a 100% failure. Not one single tree grew for me. After seeing no development at all, I decided to pull one up and see if there was any root formation at all. Nothing. I'll have to do more research to see if I can find another way to do it.
I like the plastic bag on a branch route. My butterfly bushes respond well to it. You pick a branch similar to the sizes you tried then gently peel away the bark around the whole brance 3 inches wide. put a little compost with peat moss in the bag and then wrap around the bark opening like bandaging a wound. I use some Root Tone (root powder) to hasten it along. Just keep the moss bandage moist and it should show some growth in a week. After at least a few weeks the roots should start balling up in the bag, Once you have a nice root ball clip the branch just under it and instant treeling. Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the plastic bag on a branch route. My butterfly bushes respond well to it. You pick a branch similar to the sizes you tried then gently peel away the bark around the whole brance 3 inches wide. put a little compost with peat moss in the bag and then wrap around the bark opening like bandaging a wound. I use some Root Tone (root powder) to hasten it along. Just keep the moss bandage moist and it should show some growth in a week. After at least a few weeks the roots should start balling up in the bag, Once you have a nice root ball clip the branch just under it and instant treeling. Good luck
Thank you. I saw a YT video for that that I will be reviewing for reference. I didn't try that to start with because it seemed a lot easier to cut a branch and stick it into some potting soil. When I do your suggested method, I'll take pics and document that too.

Do you think its okay to try it this late into summer? Or should I wait for spring to roll around again?

Also, do you know if rooting hormone goes bad over time? I have some, but its probably 15 years old.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thank you. I saw a YT video for that that I will be reviewing for reference. I didn't try that to start with because it seemed a lot easier to cut a branch and stick it into some potting soil. When I do your suggested method, I'll take pics and document that too.

Do you think its okay to try it this late into summer? Or should I wait for spring to roll around again?

Also, do you know if rooting hormone goes bad over time? I have some, but its probably 15 years old.
MIne is at least 10 years old and still works. Best is spring and second best is fall. Depending on how cold you get you make have to protect the bases with some extra mulch. Good luck

Reactions: Tom