Free Russian Tortoise to a Good Home in Bucks County, PA

cLynn_714

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I have a 1.5 year old Russian tortoise named Peaches, and I am really bummed to have to put her up for adoption. She's a curious little thing (who moves fastest when there's food at stake), and I absolutely adore her. Unfortunately, I have to go off to college and won't have the time to give her the proper care that she deserves.

I would like to find her the best new home possible, so I would like to adopt her out to someone who either has prior experience with Russian tortoises, or someone who has done their research.

I have a UV lamp and heat lamp that I would be happy to include with her.

I couldn't find a way to link a picture on the thread, but my profile picture is of her, and I would be happy to send more pictures directly.
I live in the Bucks County area of Pennsylvania, about 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

Please message me if you are interested. Thank you!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry you have to rehome your tort.
Try to make sure you find a well known or long time member to take her, as I have heard that there have been people in the past who have joined TFO to get free torts then sell them on for profit.
Alternatively try to find a rehoming/rescue centre or look through the Russians section of TFO and see if there are any members near you who could take her.
I hope she finds a lovely new home.

cLynn_714

United States
Sorry you have to rehome your tort.
Try to make sure you find a well known or long time member to take her, as I have heard that there have been people in the past who have joined TFO to get free torts then sell them on for profit.
Alternatively try to find a rehoming/rescue centre or look through the Russians section of TFO and see if there are any members near you who could take her.
I hope she finds a lovely new home.
Thank you so much for the heads up! I'll definitely be careful about that.

Alastel

LAKEWOOD, WA
I have a 1.5 year old Russian tortoise named Peaches, and I am really bummed to have to put her up for adoption. She's a curious little thing (who moves fastest when there's food at stake), and I absolutely adore her. Unfortunately, I have to go off to college and won't have the time to give her the proper care that she deserves.

I would like to find her the best new home possible, so I would like to adopt her out to someone who either has prior experience with Russian tortoises, or someone who has done their research.

I couldn't find a way to link a picture on the thread, but my profile picture is of her, and I would be happy to send more pictures directly.
I live in the Bucks County area of Pennsylvania, about 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

Hi there,

We are looking to adopt a Russian. I have been researching the heck out of it and are getting ready to build our tort table now. If you are still looking we would love to talk to you!

cLynn_714

United States
Hi there,

We are looking to adopt a Russian. I have been researching the heck out of it and are getting ready to build our tort table now. If you are still looking we would love to talk to you!
Hi! I have received a few inquires at this point, but have yet to decide on a new home for Peaches. If you could PM me details like your distance from Bucks County, PA and a rough care plan (i.e. picture of the setup, diet) that would be super helpful in me making my decision! Thanks!

Alastel

LAKEWOOD, WA
Hi Lynn,

I am new to this form so I am not sure how to send a PM.

We are located in Lakewood WA so it would be a journey for peaches (and that makes me sad for her but from what I have read it's not uncommon to ship overnight, and that is really up to you). As for care we are choosing a Russian because we really are interested in making sure we can provide all the requirements and the Russian being a desert tort means we have enough space inside and outside, no tanks of water, the diet is simple and I can grow it ( leafy, greens, romaine lettuce, collard greens, carrot tops, kale, mustard greens, beet greens, etc. ) and the only thing that seem like it might be extra is managing temps and the uvb light but I know that is not even going to be hard. This will be our fist ever tort so as for experience we are lacking, but I am an educated woman and the internet has lots of help!!! My daughter is obsessed with torts so we have watched every tort video on youtube twice lol. We will be building an outdoor enclose that is custom but we are planning to use an outdoor playpen until that is complete (until the more permanent one is done we won't be leaving our tort alone outside), but because we are in the pacific northwest we plan on housing our tort indoors from Sep. - April but during the summer months (after the custom pin is built) we plan on having our tort out doors. Our indoor enclosure is still up in the air. My husband and I have talked about waiting to see what unfolds because when we have seen torts up for adoption there have been cases where they are wanting to send the tort with the whole set up and since we are very adamant about adopting we were hoping that we could make that decision for housing when we know how our tort is coming. BUT I have been making plans for a multi level tort table I am very handy and am going to make it myself if our new shell baby comes a la cart lol. I am still trying to figure out how the lighting will work but there are lots of plans out there to help me out. So long story short..... We are not "set up" but we could be in a matter of 24 hrs. The table would take a day and as for the equipment we could get that in an hour. If you choose us we can set up and send pictures before you send her so you can be excited about her new home.

Where ever peaches lands we hope that you both are happy and we wish you luck!

Thanks for considering our home.
Annastashia

cLynn_714

United States
Hi Lynn,

I am new to this form so I am not sure how to send a PM.

We are located in Lakewood WA so it would be a journey for peaches (and that makes me sad for her but from what I have read it's not uncommon to ship overnight, and that is really up to you). As for care we are choosing a Russian because we really are interested in making sure we can provide all the requirements and the Russian being a desert tort means we have enough space inside and outside, no tanks of water, the diet is simple and I can grow it ( leafy, greens, romaine lettuce, collard greens, carrot tops, kale, mustard greens, beet greens, etc. ) and the only thing that seem like it might be extra is managing temps and the uvb light but I know that is not even going to be hard. This will be our fist ever tort so as for experience we are lacking, but I am an educated woman and the internet has lots of help!!! My daughter is obsessed with torts so we have watched every tort video on youtube twice lol. We will be building an outdoor enclose that is custom but we are planning to use an outdoor playpen until that is complete (until the more permanent one is done we won't be leaving our tort alone outside), but because we are in the pacific northwest we plan on housing our tort indoors from Sep. - April but during the summer months (after the custom pin is built) we plan on having our tort out doors. Our indoor enclosure is still up in the air. My husband and I have talked about waiting to see what unfolds because when we have seen torts up for adoption there have been cases where they are wanting to send the tort with the whole set up and since we are very adamant about adopting we were hoping that we could make that decision for housing when we know how our tort is coming. BUT I have been making plans for a multi level tort table I am very handy and am going to make it myself if our new shell baby comes a la cart lol. I am still trying to figure out how the lighting will work but there are lots of plans out there to help me out. So long story short..... We are not "set up" but we could be in a matter of 24 hrs. The table would take a day and as for the equipment we could get that in an hour. If you choose us we can set up and send pictures before you send her so you can be excited about her new home.

Where ever peaches lands we hope that you both are happy and we wish you luck!

Thanks for considering our home.
Annastashia
Thank you for sending such a detailed plan! Unfortunately, I'm trying to avoid shipping Peaches. Best of luck in finding a tort for your family though- it sounds like he/she will be well loved when you do!

Boots1976

Ky

Hhello I am looking to adopt a turtle, I live in KY and have has painted turtles before and also box turtles. I would love to give her a home . how big is she? I love turtles.
Holly