Free Leopard Tortoise

Critta

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
I'm in Chalmette and would love to take in!

Thanks but I'm actually looking for a well established member who already has one or even a few adult african tortoises. They'd already be set up and ready to go when it comes time for dealing with winter and the problems associated with this particular species and size of tortoise.

Keith D.

Arizona
Thanks but I'm actually looking for a well established member who already has one or even a few adult african tortoises. They'd already be set up and ready to go when it comes time for dealing with winter and the problems associated with this particular species and size of tortoise.
Hiya Critta, first off Leonardo is a amazing looking leopard. I too has a tortoise named Leonardo, but he is a DT :). Anyway you seem very informative about your herps (as I am as well, I have been raising and collecting for 30+ years now). My main issue here is that you found this good looking tort and you def want him to go to a good home that is why your being so critical to everyone who has offered to take him in. To me it sounds more like you really don't want him to go anywhere else (you sound like me lol) if it was me I probably would keep him especially since you have the yard and means to tend to him correctly. So do Leo and your son a great favor and take him into your imbrace and give him a forever home and teach your boy the proper way and responsibility of taking care of his new brother. God bless and good luck :)

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I live in the New Orleans area. I would love to take Leonardo. I sent you a message on your profile.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hey critta. Lovely leopard. I'd say this would be. Great male for our leopard queen @Elohi if she can't provide is be willing to drive and get him. I worked I LA for a total of 3 years. Breeze of a 11 hour drive I've done numerous times. He would be a perfect breeder for either my female that is identical to her as well as Monica's. He seems like hed be best as a pet though being friendly.but nothing wrong with letting him do his thing with the girls.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I'm sorry for my lack of posts about me, I really don't know what is it you guys want to know about me. I have basically a tortoise hotel. I have box turtles, Russian torts, red foots, wood turtles and more. As I have said I have a 10 x 20 building that I as an engineer built for these tortoises to sustain a temp of about 80 degrees. Even when the outdoor temp goes below 20 degrees it will maintain the temp. I have engineer buddy's that created me a special built window that I have on the roof, it lets natural sunlight in and keeps the heat in, I have multiple cinder block pens surrounding that building that hold the tortoises during the warmer months.some of my dryer species and more exotic species of tortoise are housed in a pen with a tin roof that has a 1 foot opening down the middle that allows the sun to get in. The outside of walls of the tortoise pens are made of high grade ultra tough steel wire. That's for torts like the Indian star. I'm planing working on building 3 more buildings of the exact size as the original to accommodate more species. As I have said, I have 16 acres of land to build on. I also house multiple turtles like the diamondback terrapin, multiple musk and mud turtles, snappers, sliders and 3 Fly River turtles, commonly called as the pig nosed turtle. Now let me know if that was what you wanted to know about me?
Pictures is what I'm sure everyone wants to see.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm sorry for my lack of posts about me, I really don't know what is it you guys want to know about me. I have basically a tortoise hotel. I have box turtles, Russian torts, red foots, wood turtles and more. As I have said I have a 10 x 20 building that I as an engineer built for these tortoises to sustain a temp of about 80 degrees. Even when the outdoor temp goes below 20 degrees it will maintain the temp. I have engineer buddy's that created me a special built window that I have on the roof, it lets natural sunlight in and keeps the heat in, I have multiple cinder block pens surrounding that building that hold the tortoises during the warmer months.some of my dryer species and more exotic species of tortoise are housed in a pen with a tin roof that has a 1 foot opening down the middle that allows the sun to get in. The outside of walls of the tortoise pens are made of high grade ultra tough steel wire. That's for torts like the Indian star. I'm planing working on building 3 more buildings of the exact size as the original to accommodate more species. As I have said, I have 16 acres of land to build on. I also house multiple turtles like the diamondback terrapin, multiple musk and mud turtles, snappers, sliders and 3 Fly River turtles, commonly called as the pig nosed turtle. Now let me know if that was what you wanted to know about me?

It's hard to imagine a 10x20 building comfortably accommodating all of those box turtles & tortoises - how many of each species do you have and how much of the year in your climate do they need to be indoors? It would make a lot more sense to have the other buildings built *before* you aquire the tortoises that will winter in them, no?

It would be irresponsible for anyone to give you tortoises without seeing photos of your set up. Plus, we could all learn from photos of a "tortoise hotel" - everyone here can benefit from seeing examples of thoughtfully built enclosures.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Can we post pictures here or would you prefer we PM you for an email address to send them to?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I don't think this thread should derail...since the op already addressed him, Alex the tortoise breeder 123 can elaborate on his husbandry elsewhere.

There are some great keepers you could ship to but I read your posts about that. If I had experienced your many issues with them, I'd probably hesitate too. And if one of us convinced you to try it anyway, then an issue happened...oh what guilt!

If you were dead set on rehoming him and dead set against keeping him then I'd recommend a few keepers. But honestly, after reading everything, I think you should keep him. You are already doing a good job and it's not hard to maintain once set up correctly.
I keep a male leopard here in southern Oregon. It's super easy (the copy cat of Tom's tort house makes all the difference!) and a cool pet to have around.

I've recently adopted a dog that found us..best decision ever. It sounds like this tortoise adopted you. You might just find that keeping him is also a great move ;)

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA

I apologize if I come across as rude in saying this, but it doesn't exactly give the warm and fuzzies looking back on all your posts and seeing almost all of them being about getting more and more torts and turtles of any and all species and breeding different species together even though one (or more) of those species is actually in danger of disappearing from a good portion of its natural habitat because of wild collecting and being run over and habitat loss, acquiring more and more for breeding in general, and just collecting as many chelonians as you can, regardless of species. That combined with the lack of pictures of anything (your current torts and turtles, habitats, this heated shed you're talking about, these 16 acres, etc) plus your very recent membership and the fact that none of your posts or threads are about care, health, habitat, feeding, etc (neither asking or giving advice/knowledge), it makes people not readily trust you with the possible care of the torts and turtles they need to re-home. I suggest thoroughly introducing yourself in a new thread on the 'introductions' tab (including pictures of all your torts and turtles, enclosures both indoor and out, this shed you speak of, etc) talk of things that interest you, how you got all your shell friends, how you care for them, etc. Maybe then people would be more open to the possibility of contemplating your adoption of their chelonians.
Again, if I come across as rude or picking on you, I'm sorry, I really don't mean to. I'm just trying to help you understand and help you get yourself out there so people can see if you are indeed trustworthy.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
And I forgot to mention before, I live in South Texas and I'd be glad to drive to pick up. :)

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well, I am not a tortoise owner, but I can vouch for what I've seen of Elohi's Leopards. They look awesome and you can tell they've been well kept.

Critta

Today is my birthday!
New Orleans
There's been a change of plans. After numerous people suggested trying to keep him myself, after talking to my wife and mostly due to one of my kids I think we're gonna give taking care of him ourselves a shot.
This evening I learned that after my wife had picked up our kids from school and daycare these past few days they both like to go right outside and try and find where the tortoise is hiding or see what he's up to. My oldest who is 3 has grown pretty attached to his "ninja turtle" in the backyard and my youngest who is 18 months tells her "turtle" whenever he wants to go out and see him. So this evening I've been spending a good while thoroughly researching what would be needed to house him over the winter and it seems to be well within my financial and construction abilities.

While I've never built a heated tortoise box before I think it's fairly doable. My son has pleaded with me to keep him so I've made him a deal. He has to be involved with building him a perfect home and at any point down the line if I don't think he's interested in him anymore then we will rehome him. A member on here named Monica (Elohi) has been gracious enough to drive down and take him back to south Texas to live with her group of Leopards if things don't work out at any point.

So at this point he is no longer looking for a home. Like I told Monica, we may end up with a new permanent member of our family or we may just be postponing his transfer to a new home but when my 3 year old asks me to try and do something for him that's within my means I'll at least give it a shot.

I'm sure I'll be posting again soon to find out some info on the best size etc.. for his heated box. Thanks again to everyone for your input and to Monica for offering to act as my "Plan B" if things shouldn't work out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
not to be a wet blanket but he's a tortoise not a ninja turtle :)

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
There's been a change of plans. After numerous people suggested trying to keep him myself, after talking to my wife and mostly due to one of my kids I think we're gonna give taking care of him ourselves a shot.
This evening I learned that after my wife had picked up our kids from school and daycare these past few days they both like to go right outside and try and find where the tortoise is hiding or see what he's up to. My oldest who is 3 has grown pretty attached to his "ninja turtle" in the backyard and my youngest who is 18 months tells her "turtle" whenever he wants to go out and see him. So this evening I've been spending a good while thoroughly researching what would be needed to house him over the winter and it seems to be well within my financial and construction abilities.

While I've never built a heated tortoise box before I think it's fairly doable. My son has pleaded with me to keep him so I've made him a deal. He has to be involved with building him a perfect home and at any point down the line if I don't think he's interested in him anymore then we will rehome him. A member on here named Monica (Elohi) has been gracious enough to drive down and take him back to south Texas to live with her group of Leopards if things don't work out at any point.

So at this point he is no longer looking for a home. Like I told Monica, we may end up with a new permanent member of our family or we may just be postponing his transfer to a new home but when my 3 year old asks me to try and do something for him that's within my means I'll at least give it a shot.

I'm sure I'll be posting again soon to find out some info on the best size etc.. for his heated box. Thanks again to everyone for your input and to Monica for offering to act as my "Plan B" if things shouldn't work out.
That is so awesome, yay! So happy to hear you're keeping him!!

Alaskamike

South Florida
My granddaughter (2 yo) calls all my torts "tuttles"... its cute, she even knows their names now. She has several stuffed animal turtles on her bed she just had to have when she saw them at Wallyworld. What I find gratifying, is that she is learning about a different kind of creature - other than cats or dogs, and learning to appreciate their unique existence, even at her young age. She calls the shells their "house" and loves to just gently touch the caprice. She learned easily to be quiet around them to not scare them, and sits in wonder as they trot around and eat. She goes out in the yard with me to collect the right weeds, (already knowing most of the right ones) and its been a ritual for us together when she's visiting.

If she maintains interest, one day she may be the caretaker of one of them, as they will most assuredly outlive me- and maybe even outlive her children. And she will have a lifetime of memories associated with the shelled wonder. It's family history.

Some people probably think observing a tortoise walk around and munch is akin to watching paint dry, but for me it is a peaceful reminder in a very hectic existence that it really is the simple things that count. There is not just one way to "be". And nature is amazingly diverse in her evolutionary path.
Good fortune to your family with yours.