Fred - new outdoor enclosure

Amron

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire. England
Hi everyone, thought i would share this outdoor enclosure I am building for Fred.IMG_20160522_160510.jpg IMG_20160522_160320.jpg
I haven't built his house yet but I am working on it. It will be made of wood one side enclosed for sleeping, one side on paving flags with a basking lamp. I am hoping to run it by solar power and with some sort of weight activated switch so it comes on when he stands under the lamp. Until it's built he comes inside to sleep, bask in the morning, soak ( not every day) wander around until he decides it's time to go outside, he uses the cat flap, I have to be on my toes and listen for him escaping so I can transfer him to his enclosure.
Plants inside the enclose include: aloe vera,herb Robert,tyhme,coriander,lavender,forget me knots, wide plaintain, narrow plaintain, succulents, cacti, dandelions,snap dragons, petunias,campanula,mimulus,dianthus, elephant ears ( forgotten the proper name).
He has water in the grassed area, a hide in his sun room.
Anybody got any suggestions or ideas for improvement? I would welcome feedback. Hope you like so

IMG_20160522_160510.jpg IMG_20160522_160320.jpg IMG_20160522_160417.jpg IMG_20160522_160250.jpg IMG_20160522_160336.jpg IMG_20160522_160429.jpg IMG_20160522_160402.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Canada
Looks good! How does Fred like it?

And I don't quite see where it is. Is it in your garden?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Looking good. A piece of slate, some skate chips or a dark slab will create an area that warms up quickly that your tort can bask on.

Amron

Lancashire. England
Fred loves it, he is even eating the cutle fish that's been in there for a week, I read somewhere that they do that when it's been left outside for a while. Yes it's in our garden, it got flooded recently so it's all mud at the moment, the chickens are wearing wellies. The plants can only grow so high before the chickens start keeping them trim:)

Amron

Lancashire. England
Thank you for saying it looks good, I don't think it looks pretty at the moment but with a rockery and some masonry paint on the outside might make it look better.

Amron

Lancashire. England
Thanks Joe's mum, I was intending to run some blue slate through the centre to make a pathway, maybe next weekend's job :tort:

Rue

Canada
No, it looks good. :)

What garden doesn't have room for improvement?

Well - truth be told...I've seen one that was close to perfect...it was in England too, but it belonged to an estate. Can't remember the town, but it was in Cumbria somewhere...we were happily wandering around looking for standing stones...and the very nice Gentleman who owned the estate, was out in his Wellies and his hunting jacket doing chores. He graciously allowed us on the property to look around, and showed us a standing stone nearby. :<3:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
In the last picture, what is that plant in the lower right side?

Amron

Lancashire. England
It is on the Tortoise Tables list, feed in moderation, should get pink flowers on it but it has been growing in the shade in my front garden before I pinched a bit for the enclosure

Attachments

• main_elephant072_LR_Mar10.jpg
    main_elephant072_LR_Mar10.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 9

Amron

Lancashire. England
No, it looks good. :)

What garden doesn't have room for improvement?

Well - truth be told...I've seen one that was close to perfect...it was in England too, but it belonged to an estate. Can't remember the town, but it was in Cumbria somewhere...we were happily wandering around looking for standing stones...and the very nice Gentleman who owned the estate, was out in his Wellies and his hunting jacket doing chores. He graciously allowed us on the property to look around, and showed us a standing stone nearby. :<3:
there are some lovely estates in Cumbria and most owners are down to earth sort of guys

Reactions: Rue