Fred is home and eating!!!! New Tortoise Alert!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyRapp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, OH
I ordered him on Wednesday for a Saturday delivery, I took the kids to their well child Dr. visit and the tort arrived while we were out. My husband took him out of his shipping container, and said he was already alert and moving, even though they told me that he would be hibernating (I kept thinking of hyperleep).

It was perfect, my husband had the video camera rolling when Linus came in, we showed him the tortoise (he is a juvenile Russian). Linus (my now 7 year old) was speechless. After we convinced him that the tortoise was alive and it would be his for the rest of his life he couldn't stop smiling.

We have him in a big rubbermaid tub for now, I have a friend building a table for us, I got over my substrate panic, used 40 lbs of organic topsoil, then some T-Rex sani chips, kind of mixed it up a bit, then topped it with T-Rex Cypress mulch and sprinkled some Timothy hay around too. He has a water rock and a half log hide, that really isn't wide enough, unless he burrows under it a bit, which is what he did. I have a lamp on a stand with a mercury vapor bulb, to provide both heat and light.

Linus named him Fred (but if it turns out if he's a girl then we will name her Freida) We think it is a male, because he has a very long, pointy tail and the anal area of his plastron is "V" shaped around his tail. However, the plastron is totally flat, I thought that females were flat and males had some curvature. My 10 year old suggested that perhaps he was transgendered, and just hadn't had all the surgeries yet (!) I really need to know where she is getting stuff like this. I'm thinking he's male and I'm just not seeing the curvature.

He is a juvenile, about 4 years old I think. I'll have to figure out how to share photos. Not sure if this link will work: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?i...et=a.1704019647181.2096062.1438696958&theater

a better picture is on my husband's FB page http://www.facebook.com/album.php?i...et=a.1079043378912.2013121.1311108724&theater
They said to put him in a bowl until he starts moving, so my husband put him in a pasta bowl.....which will now be heavily cleaned and sterilized!

Thanks for your help over the last week.....Now to just keep Fred alive. he's eating everything you put in front of him, I joked that he'll be the only tortoise on Nutra-system~

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats! Sounds like you've got everything in order already.

Kids say the most amazing things sometimes, huh?

AmyRapp

5 Year Member
Columbus, OH
Here is Fred, in his transitional bowl....not sure why they said to do that....

Fredintransition.jpg

and here he is in his home

188847_1602180897023_1311108724_31397932_5271424_n.jpg

Can I let him walk around the house, I have wood floors.

He is so cool, I love to watch him eat, when we walk in the room he perks up and looks around....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad he made it!

We usually advise not to let them walk on your floors. Reasons being floor is too cold (take off your clothes and lay on your floor. :Gets a bit nippy doesn't it?); no matter how often you sweep or vacuum there is always something on the floor. I might be a hair, a dust bunny, a rubberband, a twist tie, string, whatever. All these things may get swallowed by your Fred and cause all sorta of health problems including death; another of the major reasons is the chemicals you use on your floor, they may make him sick, too. So better to keep him off the floor is my opinion.:tort:

I love the bowl. It's very pretty.

AmyRapp

5 Year Member
Columbus, OH
Thanks guys!

I was thinking that about the floor being too cold, especially being laminate and bamboo, my feet get cold all the time. But I wasn't sure. This place is such a wealth of information and experience.

He is such an amazing little dude.

The shipping information said to put him in a bowl until he starts moving around. If it were me I would have gotten an old rubbermaid bucket or something, not the good pasta bowl!!!! Oh well, it can be washed.

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can take him out to the clover and dandelion patches!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.