Frankie Tortoise Tails: Loverboy

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, Alabama
There is so much to say about Frankie. He has a personality as big as Siberia. He is always surprising me.

Oh, sometimes those surprises are outright stinky, messy, and destructive. Still Frankie has a friendly side that says, "Hey, I love you mom". Of course, a carrot in hand always helps.

The man-ly side of Frankie as he blooms into his teen years can be down right embarrassing, albeit a bit educational as he humps anything that resembles.....well, I was about to say a female tortoise but Frankie will hump anything he can hold down long enough to climb on top of.

So is it educational or embarrassing? It's both.

Watching a recent video of Frankie getting better acquainted with a pumpkin I was looking at how he used his front gular scutes to glide up on the pumpkin so he could (do I have to say it again?) hump it. I watched the video several times fascinated with the use of his front scutes.

Male sulcata scutes are useful for ramming. But clearly, as seen on the video, use of the gular scutes is important to successful mating.

woo.jpg

So I called a friend and sent the video to her and get her opinion. Not five minutes go by when she called back and said, "Look at the video again. Frankie is a regular Casanova."

Oh, my. Surprise!

Enjoy!

Click to view video: Frankie Woos a Pumpkin

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I here that about a lot of Sullies.:D. How's Frankie doing with his new digs? Have you gotten all settled in? Hope is all going smoothly with your new home.

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
brought a big smile today here in chilly Massachusetts, Thanks Frankie for warming my heart <3

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i can't wait til i can move somewhere with better weather than ma so i can have a giant tortoise (': frankie brings everyone smiles, i can only imagine living with him!