Found Tortoise in the Road and Don't know what kind he is

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Some Greeks certainly get those colored scales. For example look at the T g. cyrenaica pictured in Chris's care sheet details.
I looked it up. I don't see any T. g. Cyrenaica pictures with bright yellow spots on the head and legs. I've only seen color like that on a red or yellow foot. Did you click on the picture and zoom in?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I looked it up. I don't see any T. g. Cyrenaica pictures with bright yellow spots on the head and legs. I've only seen color like that on a red or yellow foot. Did you click on the picture and zoom in?

Yes. Also, for easy difference - no redfoot or yellowfoot have a nuchal scute.

Here's a few pictures of Testudo graeca ibera for coparison

1587494754789.png
1587495000480.png

Kaitlynn_

Bakersfield, CA
The pet store told you it was their's but you could go ahead and keep it for free? Why would they do that? Did they give you any idea about why their tortoise was running loose in the street? They didn't know what species their tortoise was?

That is not a Russian. Its either a red foot or a yellow foot. Can you give the tortoise a warm water soak, and a light brushing with a soft tooth brush so we can see it a little better?

@Yvonne G has both of those species and she's not too far from you. She'd be better able to tell which one it is than me.
They had an enclosure in the shop for him and they said he escaped, since my fiancé could have just taken him they said we could take him for a lower price so yes we did pay for him. I didn't think I needed to type all of that out in the beginning thinking people would trust we did everything correctly. We are good people who didn't just take a tortoise without taking the proper steps.
I will give him a soak and brush him today and post a picture afterwards. Thank you for your help.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I get what you are saying about the carapace, but no greek has head coloration or leg scale coloration like that. Maybe its a species that I have little to no knowledge of, like one of the hinge backs? I would say greek too, if it wasn't for that color.

When I was looking for my Russian, one of the local pet stores had greeks that had a splash of yellow on their heads and arms. My wife said it looked like a pineapple. Not as bright as this guy, tho. This one is very colorful!

zovick

10 Year Member!
No votes for Indotestudo forsteni or possibly an I. elongata/forsteni hybrid? The nuchal scute is wrong for a pure elongata, but is correct for forsteni. Many examples of those two species have black shell markings like the one in the photo.

Just another thought.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here are the pictures after I soaked and brushed him, thank you for all of the advice. All we are trying to do is help him and give him the best life possible.

From these new photos, it does appear more likely to be a Greek Tortoise of some species or another.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From these new photos, it does appear more likely to be a Greek Tortoise of some species or another.
Agreed. Looks like those color spots are the actual head color, and there is old stained skin covering the rest.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agreed. Looks like those color spots are the actual head color, and there is old stained skin covering the rest.
Some Greek tortoises do get that mottled coloring on their skin with patches of lighter color on the head and neck. I've seen several like that. Did you see the 2 examples I quickly found of exactly that type of head coloring for an Ibera Greek?

KronksMom

Illinois
Sorry your seemingly simple question became such a big thing @Kaitlynn_ but everyone here is pretty much obsessed with tortoises and you just said you found and then were given a BEAUTIFUL ENIGMA! Everyone here is now kicking rocks looking around hoping they'll get so lucky as to spot a tort as handsome as yours :)

nandusnandus

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
As a couple of folks said, it appears pretty clearly to be Testudo. Also as mentioned, figuring-out exactly which Testudo is often a real challenge.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It’s a Greek tortoises 100%, without a single doubt and is a Mesopotamian (T. g. terrestris) otherwise known as what we unfortunately refer to as the “golden Greek” in the hobby.

Last edited:

Suzyszoo

5 Year Member
So happy you found him/her! Thankfilly your HUGE heart will provide way better care & life for it...enjoy, please keep us posted, & thank you!!??

ismail

5 Year Member
That's a Russian tortoise...he is most probably someones escaped pet as they are notorious escape artists. the correct thing to do is post notices around looking for his keeper,
Sure he's a russian? I'm no expert but doesn't seem so to me....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That's a Russian tortoise...he is most probably someones escaped pet as they are notorious escape artists. the correct thing to do is post notices around looking for his keeper,
No, I was wrong. Sorry. I sure don't know what I thought I was seeing