found tort flipped over in his water bowl!

deee-deee

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I just went out to George's outdoor enclosure to bring him in for the night, and he was flipped over in his water dish (terracotta plant saucer firmly planted down in substrate). He somehow moved it, and my guess is he was trying to climb the fence and flipped. I'm going to move dish away from fence. I got him out and put him in his indoor enclosure and he was pretty out of it, eyes half closed, head bobbing up and down, barely moving. It's been half hour and he is now eating, so i'm assuming he is feeling better.. any signs i should look out for right now? SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SCARY!!!!!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When this happens best to give a warm soak. Even though he was in water, they can dehydrate as they usually urinate sometimes more then once. Its likely he is fine now that he is moving and eating.

deee-deee

Los Angeles, CA
When this happens best to give a warm soak. Even though he was in water, they can dehydrate as they usually urinate sometimes more then once. Its likely he is fine now that he is moving and eating.
thank you
i'll give it a try tomorrow - the dish was loaded with poop too

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, they will poop too.
You can put some larger rocks in the dish. That will give him something to not only help him right himself but possible from flipping flat on his back.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Glad you found him in time..I hope he is feeling better