Found tortoise, north Las Vegas, Craig and Valley.

BenHurDover

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
So I encountered Benji in an unlikely place. A neighborhood surrounded with much pavement and not much desert suitable for desert tortoises for miles. He(assuming, opinions appreciated) had red all over his mouth which I thought was good at the time but after letting him get comfortable at home and I felt okay staring at him with fascination without possibly stressing him out I noticed he may have been hurt or been hurt on his horn type uper lip slightly damaging it. It was not too bad has since healed. But this gave me the idea a hawk bird of prey may have transported him from his home (attempted to devour him) but somehow allowed him to escape. His shell seems rather unscathed though so idk. Anyway I heard sulcata tortoises are popularly breeded here in Vegas and this neighborhood does have homes with backyard up to an acre in size. This being said I think it's possible someone's tortoises eggs hatched(considering breeders do not always keep their eggs I doors, idk) and one escaped. LONG STORY SHORT, I NEED TO KNOW MY JUVENILE TORTOISES BREED, ESTIMATED AGE AND GENDER. If you don't feel comfortable determining the 2nd two that's fine. THANK YOU! He has turned into the most outgoing, personality filled pet I've ever owned. He came to be the best pet ever rather quickly for a wild tortoise because of how young I found him or what, idk. I am so happy with the gift god gave me by putting this amazing creature before me and am dying to know more about my new life partner. Ty

15887319156633475705741815718273.jpg15887319530843101019422878298434.jpg15887320136276827061456486161411.jpg15887320404823342272195391357051.jpg15887321876372378151849145901343.jpg

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Not a Sulcata. It's some kind of desert Tortoise.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Nevada has strict laws governing desert tortoises, so you may want to look into what kind of permits you need to keep your new friend. With protected species, there are no “finders keepers” laws.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Many people have desert torts in Nevada, so don't be afraid someone is going to take him from you. They won't.

In CA you fill out an application from Fish & Game, and receive a permit and a sticker that the tort wears on his shell. That permit is free.

Nevada might do it the same way. There are tortoise clubs in your area. Give one of them a call.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's very dry. Soak him daily for about 15 minutes in a bowl he can't climb out of, warm water.

Reactions: Ink

BenHurDover

Las Vegas
Nevada has strict laws governing desert tortoises, so you may want to look into what kind of permits you need to keep your new friend. With protected species, there are no “finders keepers” laws.
I'm going to as soon as he gets a
Many people have desert torts in Nevada, so don't be afraid someone is going to take him from you. They won't.

In CA you fill out an application from Fish & Game, and receive a permit and a sticker that the tort wears on his shell. That permit is free.

Nevada might do it the same way. There are tortoise clubs in your area. Give one of them a call.
Are you sure they won't take him even considering his age?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I really don't think it matters what his age is. He can't go back to the wild, and they already have hundreds, if not thousands of them to care for and try to find homes for.

In AZ, there are state requirements that must be met re' his outdoor enclosure and burrow. I don't know if NV has that or not, but you should find out. In AZ, that might only be true if you are adopting from Game & Fish. They have an informative website.

Sorry I don't know anything about NV. I do know that Las Vegas has a huge population of backyard torts.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
In Nevada, you might need a permit to hold possession of captive desert tortoise. You are not consider the owner of the tortoise. But a custodian looking after them on your property. lol

I would call the Tortoise Group NV
www.tortoisegroup.org/

Coco Channell

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Las vegas
So I encountered Benji in an unlikely place. A neighborhood surrounded with much pavement and not much desert suitable for desert tortoises for miles. He(assuming, opinions appreciated) had red all over his mouth which I thought was good at the time but after letting him get comfortable at home and I felt okay staring at him with fascination without possibly stressing him out I noticed he may have been hurt or been hurt on his horn type uper lip slightly damaging it. It was not too bad has since healed. But this gave me the idea a hawk bird of prey may have transported him from his home (attempted to devour him) but somehow allowed him to escape. His shell seems rather unscathed though so idk. Anyway I heard sulcata tortoises are popularly breeded here in Vegas and this neighborhood does have homes with backyard up to an acre in size. This being said I think it's possible someone's tortoises eggs hatched(considering breeders do not always keep their eggs I doors, idk) and one escaped. LONG STORY SHORT, I NEED TO KNOW MY JUVENILE TORTOISES BREED, ESTIMATED AGE AND GENDER. If you don't feel comfortable determining the 2nd two that's fine. THANK YOU! He has turned into the most outgoing, personality filled pet I've ever owned. He came to be the best pet ever rather quickly for a wild tortoise because of how young I found him or what, idk. I am so happy with the gift god gave me by putting this amazing creature before me and am dying to know more about my new life partner. Ty

View attachment 293517View attachment 293518View attachment 293519View attachment 293520View attachment 293521
I live in Vegas and have a 11 month ET who looks like yours. I have mother too. They love red hibiscus flowers. They are very smart and loving

Coco Channell

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Las vegas
Keep him in house and only let out for hour or two supervised. Birds and rats here in Vegas love baby desert tortoises

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree its a desert tortoise. Too young to know the sex. The different types of tortoises are not breeds. They are individual species. This species is Gopherus agassizii. Most of the care info you find is old, out-dated, wrong info. Here is the correct care info:

Get some spineless opuntia cactus pads and plant them around your property. These will be excellent food for your tortoise. Mulberry trees and grapevines both provide leaves that are also excellent tortoises food. Grass is also an important component.

Coco Channell

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Las vegas
This is ET s house he likes to sleep in little box. I bring him out 3 to 4 hours a day. In yard supervised and in my kitchen
Grreeenhouse window. He likes to eat there and look out window.
I live near you if you want to see my outside burrow for Pixie Mother
Carol

Attachments

• 1597088360761568617829.jpg
    1597088360761568617829.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1597088442287385624332.jpg
    1597088442287385624332.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 7