Found SULCATA TORTOISE in Casa Grande Arizona

Stephfaune

Location (City and/or State)
Casa Grande, Arizona
It's been two weeks since I rescued him from crossing a busy street. I have posted on social media and still no owners. I have never had a tortoise before but want to make sure I care for him right. He has his own enclosure and we made him a burrow as well. I want to plant grass for him. I bought some Timothy hay but he doesn't like it. I went online so I could figure out if it was a boy or girl and found it to be a male. Do they hibernate? I'm wondering if that's why no one has claimed him yet! I don't know how to add a photo from my phone.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Stephfaune

Casa Grande, Arizona
Greetings..

What size Sully did you rescue? Id recommend giving it a nice warm water soak. It’s probably very dehydrated, and will appreciate a good soak.

Heres some good info - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

No, they don’t hibernate. Depending on his size, probably won’t eat the Timothy - it’s hard, and scratchy. A good bunch of safe weeds, dandelions, grass are great.

Good luck.

His shell is as long as a cinder block, not including his head or legs when out. And he's about an inch taller than the cinder block.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome soak him in warm water depth to where the top and bottom shell meet. Keep the water warm and soak for 1/2 hr or longer. Dont be surprised if he poops and pee's while soaking. Just dump the water and give him fresh water.
Thanks for rescuing him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Are you sure it's not a desert tortoise? They are native to your area. Can you post pics?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good call Toddrickfl1. I made that mistake telling a new member they had a sully and it was a DT.:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's been two weeks since I rescued him from crossing a busy street. I have posted on social media and still no owners. I have never had a tortoise before but want to make sure I care for him right. He has his own enclosure and we made him a burrow as well. I want to plant grass for him. I bought some Timothy hay but he doesn't like it. I went online so I could figure out if it was a boy or girl and found it to be a male. Do they hibernate? I'm wondering if that's why no one has claimed him yet! I don't know how to add a photo from my phone.
Either one of these two links may help you with posting photos:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/posting-pictures-from-smart-phone.144047/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/posting-pictures-using-the-forums-method.68836/

Stephfaune

Casa Grande, Arizona
54729686_10210759501343144_7336935109536251904_o.jpg

Stephfaune

Casa Grande, Arizona
I want to plant grass for him. I read on one of the forums Bermuda is ok? Is that correct? I just want to make sure I care for him correctly until someone claims him. If no one does then I want to still know what I'm doing so he can live a happy life. He's pretty neat! I've raised cats, dogs and pigeons but never a tortoise.

Stephfaune

Casa Grande, Arizona
Welcome soak him in warm water depth to where the top and bottom shell meet. Keep the water warm and soak for 1/2 hr or longer. Dont be surprised if he poops and pee's while soaking. Just dump the water and give him fresh water.
Thanks for rescuing him.

Should I put the warm water in a kids pool? Should I put dirt in it? Is hose water too cold? What does soaking him do?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Should I put the warm water in a kids pool? Should I put dirt in it? Is hose water too cold? What does soaking him do?
A kids pool might be a little big. When you soak him. He will drink water and the skin will absorb water. He will also usually poop and pee while soaking. So if he does it early in the soak you will need to change the water. The water needs to be warm and stay warm. 85% to 90% is what I try for. When it cools down just take some out and warm water back in. That's why I think a pool would be to big at this time. The reason for the 1/2 < soaks is to keep him hydrated
My sulcata won't drink out of a dish only when soaking . I keep fresh water in a dish just incase he figures it out. No dirt in the water

Last edited:

Stephfaune

Casa Grande, Arizona
A kids pool might be a little big. When you soak him. He will drink water and the skin will absorb water. He will also usually poop and pee while soaking. So if he does it early in the soak you will need to change the water. The water needs to be warm and stay warm. 85% to 90% is what I try for. When it cools down just take some out and warm water back in. That's why I think a pool would be to big at this time. The reason for the 1/2 < soaks is to keep him hydrated
My sulcata won't drink out of a dish only when soaking . I keep fresh water in a dish just incase he figures it out. No dirt in the water

When I found him he drank out of a shallow dish. He was super thirsty.