FOUND: Sulcata (male) in Lancaster, CA

adore

A couple weeks ago I found a male Sulcata wandering the street of Lancaster, CA. It was across the street from a large patch of desert so part of me wonders if he was dropped off there... But don't worry, I'm doing my best to reunite him with his owner if they are searching for him.

He's about 12" long x 9.5" wide (that's just the shell) and has some pyramiding.

I'm asking people to send me pictures of their Sully if they think it's him so I don't end up sending him home with someone who's just trying a score a free tortoise. I have "Found" flyers up at all the local pet stores that would display them, one at Animal Control, an add on 3 "pet finding" websites, as well as a Craigslist add. So far I've had about 6 people who are missing Desert Torts (confuses me, aren't they protected as a native species?) and 3 people who want him if his owners don't show up. But I feel very protective of him and if I do eventually need to rehome him you can bet I won't be doing it lightly :)

I have done a lot of research since day 1 to learn about his habitat & care. This forum has been so helpful!! I still have questions which I'll ask in another post.

If I don't find his owner(s) I am thinking of keeping him myself, but I'm not yet positive that I can create the habitat and life he deserves. I'm giving it a lot of thought while I wait for his people to find him, if they want to.

If you know anyone in Lancaster, California who is missing a male Sulcata they can TEXT me a description of their Sully & PHOTOS to 661-674-0558

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

madge1234

Hello!

This is a great thing you are doing.

I lost my tortoise last summer, but she was found through the magical networking power of Facebook! If you have a page (or if you don't and someone close to you does), you can do a "found" post on Facebook and ask that each person who sees it shares the post on their page so that even more people will see it. You could also give the flyers local veterinarians, particularly those who specialize in exotics/reptiles or general vets who have reptiles as patients.

Good luck to you!
Margaret

adore

Hello!

This is a great thing you are doing.

I lost my tortoise last summer, but she was found through the magical networking power of Facebook! If you have a page (or if you don't and someone close to you does), you can do a "found" post on Facebook and ask that each person who sees it shares the post on their page so that even more people will see it. You could also give the flyers local veterinarians, particularly those who specialize in exotics/reptiles or general vets who have reptiles as patients.

Good luck to you!
Margaret

Thanks Margaret! FB is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that! And the vets too, I have put a flyer up at one vet that does exotics but I think there's another in the area that I forgot about so I'll head there tomorrow!

adore

After much research & deliberation I am keeping my foster tort! :)

I've been advertising that I found him for about 5 weeks now, in Craigslist, FreeClassifieds.com, plus 3 online "lost pet" sites , in pet stores & vet offices, at the city animal shelter, with posters outside, and a "found" add in the newspaper. This, according to multiple legal sources, puts me well within my right to claim him because if someone was actively looking for him it would have been almost impossible not to find him.

I have also done a lot of research on his needs and behavior and realized that I will be able to provide him with a healthy & happy life.

So I guess I'm a new tortoise mom to my beautiful Sulcata friend who I'm calling "Ned" :) (after Ned Stark from GofTh) I feel so lucky that he came into my life!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459266626.415848.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459266693.336163.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
After much research & deliberation I am keeping my foster tort! :)

I've been advertising that I found him for about 5 weeks now, in Craigslist, FreeClassifieds.com, plus 3 online "lost pet" sites , in pet stores & vet offices, at the city animal shelter, with posters outside, and a "found" add in the newspaper. This, according to multiple legal sources, puts me well within my right to claim him because if someone was actively looking for him it would have been almost impossible not to find him.

I have also done a lot of research on his needs and behavior and realized that I will be able to provide him with a healthy & happy life.

So I guess I'm a new tortoise mom to my beautiful Sulcata friend who I'm calling "Ned" :) (after Ned Stark from GofTh) I feel so lucky that he came into my life!

View attachment 168824View attachment 168825

I think your first thought was the correct one. Many uneducated people, not wanting their bulldozer sulcata any longer and not realizing our desert isn't like where they come from, take them to the desert and release them. There was an idea many years ago that this is where the mycoplasma came from that is decimating our native desert tortoise population.

Ned is very lucky to have found someone who cares about providing him the best environment. And judging from the weeds in your pictures, his diet is going to be correct too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are in for some fun times. They are an awesome species.

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
Congrats on finding your new tort! As said above, I'm sure Ned is happy he found you!

adore

How are the two of you doing? :D
We're doing great! I truly adore him and he's changed my life in a very positive way. I hope I've changed his life in a positive way too, I think I have :) He's so different than any other animal I've had in terms of his care so I've learned A LOT! I've also started at small tortoise garden, my first garden ever, which I love, all because of my beautiful Ned! He's such a peaceful presence too. Just lovely. Thank you fate! I'm thankful for him every day:> And thanks for asking Rue!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh. You've been bitten by the tortoise bug. Hard. Don't worry. All of us are afflicted as well.

What do you say to people who don't get the whole "tortoise thing"? Have you run into that yet? What does your sister say?