Found something I couldn't live without at the Cold Blooded Expo today

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
DSCN1861.jpgThis is Pearl my Dream tortoise The vendor said she was two years old and she is a she :) I only have Russians so any advise would be greatly appreciated :)
DSCN1858.jpg

Could anyone tell me is she truly a female?

Last edited by a moderator:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Sweeettt....it's so hard to go to the shows and not walk away with something! ... Congrads!:)

Reactions: pam

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thank you :) I think she is beautiful :) and I have wanted one for a very long time. She seems very shy compared to my Russians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pam:

At two years of age, all, well, most, tortoises still have the female attributes. They don't really start showing which sex they are until they get to be 5 or 6 years old.

Right now your tortoise looks female...but that could change as it gets bigger. Maybe the breeder is so sure because he had the incubator temperature set to produce females.

Your new little 'girl', although very, very pretty, is pretty pyramided, which means she might be dehydrated. If that's your picture and not a picture from the breeder, you need to get her off those alfalfa pellets and onto a substrate that you can moisten.

Be sure to soak her daily for at least a half hour each time, and beside soaking keep a waterer in the habitat sho she can drink on her own if she wants to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Exactly what Yvonne said. She is pretty, but was not raised in the best way. I would keep her in some humidity or give her/him? a humid hide. Even larger leopards can benefit from some humidity, specially when raised dry.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I have her in a soak now and he had her on the rabbit pellets and said she liked the dry climate I knew that was wrong thank you for all the advice I truly appreciate it :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
pam said:
I have her in a soak now and he had her on the rabbit pellets and said she liked the dry climate I knew that was wrong thank you for all the advice I truly appreciate it :)

Raised properly by you now, that pyramiding will become a little less pronounced as she grows up :) Best of luck! She's beautiful!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very cool. Now I know why I dont go to them shows! I cant take on anything more then I already have. lol!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thank you :) She is doing great a little shy at first but coming out of her shell so to speak :) She enjoyed her long soak and time outside. She is settling in well in her new enclosure I feel so very lucky :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh yay, you got a little leopard. With your good care, and that you are on this forum to learn and ask, that baby is going to be in great hands. Warm and humid = healthy and happy! So glad you got your little dreamy! Woo hoo. : )

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Pam since your like your " snows" ... not sure if you ever saw " Millie Vanilli" ....she was one beaut of a leo ....Still kinda wish I kept this one ....

Good luck with your New gem ...." Miss Pearl"... she is beautiful !;)

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
looooove the pale leopards, by the time i got to the show i didn't see any! your baby is stunning, and the name pearl is absolutely adorable. my sister has a leopard who is 5 years old, he is beautiful and yet quite shy as well. is that a bit of a beak i'm seeing?

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Yes I seen Millie she is the most beautiful tort I have ever seen :)

Yes my Pearl needs a beak trim

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very pretty markings/color! I can see why you could not pass her up. :)

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
The minute I seen her I knew I had to take her home :)

Status
Not open for further replies.