Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Stephanie Logan said:
And you're not using a coil bulb, right?

This is a quote from his earlier posts: "No lighting aside from indirect sunlight from a window in the room." So UV lighting is not an issue.;)

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Yeah, thanks Jacqui. The torts don't get any direct lighting, artificial or natural.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mike, it's been a couple of weeks how are things going?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
As far as my blind tort is concerned, it is difficult to tell whether there's been any improvement because she refuses to open her eyes when I'm around. They 'look' healthy in that they look just like all my other torts' eyes when closed, no puffiness or swelling. I'm no longer having to flip her upright daily and she is able to find food and water, so either she can open her eyes and is just shy around me or she's getting used to her blindness. As for other factors, as alluded to previously, she is eating and she is self-soaking. She's maintaining weight and there aren't any shell issues that I can identify by sight or touch. Her strength may have also improved- originally when I was applying the terramycin to her eyes I thought she was being wonderfully cooperative. All I had to do was gently pull on her beak and she'd let me have her head so I could apply the ointment. Then, about 2 weeks ago, she started resisting to the point where I had to apply everything while her head was firmly sucked in. Obviously it is difficult to tell why she changed her mind, but I can always hope.

Chew Toy is still getting along fabulously. Wonderful activity level, wonderful appetite, wonderful everything. I doubt I could ever find another hingy so recently imported that could ever do as wonderfully as she has. Honestly, given her condition it has been tough to keep her in isolation, but I know the best approach to stick to is to keep waiting and introduce her to the boys when it is spring and everyone can be outside with plenty of room to run and hide.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So all in all, the reports not bad, I am glad to hear that! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that she feels she's invisible when she has her eyes closed. If she can't see you, then you obviously can't see her!!

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Just thought I'd give a quick update. Chew Toy is still fabulous. And my blind tort is still... invisible? Sounds good to me. Extreme shyness is definitely a theory I'd prefer to be true over most other options. At least her weight and appetite remain acceptable.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
chairman said:
I'll give the baby food idea a shot. Hopefully that'll work. And it doesn't sound that crazy...

As for her enclosure, she's in a tub and she's been staying on the warm side. Raising the temp on the cool side won't be too difficult. I suppose that she could technically see through the tub since it is the frosted/clear material, but since her eyes are swollen shut I don't imagine that's an issue. I've been trying to tempt her with papaya since it is a favorite of my others and has a very strong smell, so I figured she might be able to find it blind.

Mike you may want to look at some of the pics, etc. in the 'hingeback' link in my signature below.. even tho they are K. erosa.

I've skimmed thru this thread.. and am wondering if 'the less you handle' the better things would be for them?

"Chewy" doesn't look all that bad actually.

They most likely came in last May.

Terry K

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I guess I updated a little prematurely today, because I caught my tort with her eyes open tonight! I got a little off-schedule this evening and when I peeked in for misting, water changes, etc, I saw her wandering around looking intently at the ground (I assume for worms). She closed her eyes up very quickly when she realized I was there, but it is quite a relief to see her seeing.

Terry, the torts don't actually get handled very often. Once I saw that both the torts were capable of eating and finding the water bowls I more or less left them alone, and I quit the terramycin shortly after her eyes starting looking better externally. Perhaps my limited harassment led to tonight's discovery, I don't know. Also, I found my way to your websites weeks ago... you have many beautiful torts, and I enjoy looking at your hingebacks. Some of those erosa's have beautiful colorations. Kinda makes my homes look a little drab in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.