Found my two female home's

Status
Not open for further replies.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Well, I have to say that finding my girls didn't go exactly as planned, but it seems to have worked out well. My original intent was to find some captive bred female Home's that I could go pick up. However, I've come to the conclusion that captive bred Home's hingebacks must be one of the rarest torts out there. As a result I pretty much had to go with WC, despite how distasteful I find importation to be. After I made that decision it was just a matter of when and who.

In terms of when, I figured that I could either a)get them now, and free them into a spacious outdoor pen in 6 months or b)get them when it warms up in the spring and free them into a much smaller (though recently very much improved, I think) indoor home. I figured that they'd appreciate the great outdoors much more.

In terms of who, I found someone in PA who had a couple girls. They were even willing to send me pictures of my torts ahead of time (more on the pics later...). Actually, I haven't seen any mention of the individual I got them from on this board, but I had a fairly good experience all considering the whole sight unseen/shipping necessary nature of my adoption.

After looking at some projected overnight low temperatures, I set up a date and got my girls in. My wife actually took them in and they were a little stressed out from the trip. By the time I got home a couple hours later, though, they were much improved. They're both adults, maybe sub-adults, measuring in around 6" each. One of the girls is actually rather pretty. She has some odd shell growth at that scute right above her head, making it really pointy, but is otherwise quite smooth and in good shape. She is the tort I got a side-view and bottom-view picture of. The other girl... well, she obviously got chewed on by something in Africa. Her shell has some marks that are obviously teeth shaped, and she has a couple scales on her legs that look like new growth. The front part of her shell above her head got the worst of the abuse... I believe that she is missing a layer of shell (in spots) and some bone is exposed (in spots). Once again, I'm no expert, but the area looks old and well scarred. She's the tort that I only got a bottom view picture of. I guess that I should have been a little more suspicious.

Anyway, so the girls are now in quarantine. They're on newspaper so I can collect some poo (the seller said they had been through two deworming regimens, but... you know). Their water is being fortified with electrolytes and I'm trying to get some calcium in them by offering cuttle bones and finding foods they'll eat that are dusted with Ca. I also plan to give them daily betadine baths for about a week (warm water bath with betadine scrubbed on with an old toothbrush, then prompty washed off and removed from the bathwater). I know it inhibits new shell growth, but a week's worth of betadine should definitely eliminate external parasites. No names yet, but I really haven't thought much about it.

Quick question for anyone who has had a pregnant hingeback- can I tell, without the aid of x-rays, whether or not one of my girls may already be carrying eggs? I'd post this in the general area, but hinges have such a funny shell that I almost think I'm going to need some slightly more specific advice. If I'm wrong, please share pregnancy-related advice. I'm not aiming to get eggs for at least a couple years, but if they've already got them I don't want to lose one to being egg bound. To help with the diagnosis, neither are fully grown, but I obviously don't know their ages or whether they've reached sexual maturity yet. I can definitely tell they are female based on tail size. Their SCL is about 2" shorter than it will be when they reach full size.

I do have questions on the shell care on my chew toy but I am going to post that in the general tort section. I'm hoping to get them healthy and happy soon. However, given their weights and levels of activity, I think they're already much better off than either of my boys were. I'll post pics later tonight.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Glad you found 2 females :) It is possible for a 6 inch female to lay eggs, though 6 1/2 to 7 inches is more usual. Like most gravid tortoises, they will pace the enclosure to find a place to lay. Thats the best way to know if a Hingeback is gravid, that and just a general change in behavior. The last will be hard to spot as they are new to you.
To cut down on stress, I'd set them up as soon as you get stool samples.

Danny

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Here's a pic of the tort I'm contemplating naming "Chew Toy" ever since I first thought to use the phrase to describe her...
IMG_2690s.JPG
I'll get pics of the other one up as soon as she'll model for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are they newly imported or LTC?

For the newly imported Home's, hydration is really important. Another thing is to get them start eating something/anything, don't even bother about the calcium/vitamin for first few weeks. Try boiled pumpkin, boiled sweet potato, fruits(strawberry, banana, melon and others), and maybe boiled chicken.

During the first few weeks, try not to bother them too much. Keep them warm, and hydrate. The enclosure should be at a quiet and darker area.

Scott

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
AAHHHHHH...such deep, stoic eyes! What a beauty queen. "Chew Toy" would be a hilarious name, if you don't think of better one.;)

Good luck on nursing your girls back to full health and smooth shell growth!:D

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
The person I got them from told me that they've been in "for awhile." Long enough to get dewormed twice, which would have to be what, 20 days depending on the regimen? I never thought to ask for a specific time frame, though. I figured I'd treat them as though they were fresh from the wild.

Despite appearances, the chewed up one seems to be the healthier of the two. She's already given me a poo sample and completely destroyed a pair of nightcrawlers I offered to her. She even contemplated taking the second one from my hand when I was putting it in with her! Of course, she wasn't at all interested in the dandelion greens or clover I offered, but that's no real shock given the diet my boys eat (or won't, as it were). She also ate some banana.

I believe that the other one does have a hydration problem as she has those puffy, swollen eyes that can't quite open. I went ahead and moved her onto more suitable substrate even though she hasn't offered a poo sample outside her water dish. I'll probably bother her a little bit with warm water soaks until her eyes open up, at which time she'll get more privacy.

To mention something I learned in the post on my tort's shell, they won't be receiving any more betadine baths... apparently its too harsh for more than a once in a blue moon application. Thought I'd share.

M

Maggie Cummings

Stephanie Logan said:
AAHHHHHH...such deep, stoic eyes! What a beauty queen. "Chew Toy" would be a hilarious name, if you don't think of better one.;)

Good luck on nursing your girls back to full health and smooth shell growth!:D

I thought the name should be Chewy...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
You may have to clear that with Stagger Lee first.;)

(His human's user name is Chewbecca).:p

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
So, it has only been a week, but my tort's eyes are still swollen shut despite daily warm water soaking, constant access to an adequate soaking dish, and high humidity (substrate is wet on bottom, dry on top). Her cool side is in the low 70's and the warm side in the low 80's. (My other hingebacks have always seemed the most active in the low to mid 70's.) No lighting aside from indirect sunlight from a window in the room.

Any thoughts on how to get her eyes open? I'm considering eyedrops... IF that's a good idea, any recommendations?

I'd like to get her seeing as soon as possible because a)she hasn't eaten yet and b)she keeps flipping herself over trying to walk up the walls.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This method always works with box turtles that haven't been eating:

Soak the tortoise in a mixture of Gerber strained baby food and water (either carrots or squash because they're highest in Vit.a) for about a half hour every day. You should notice an improvement in the eyes in about 3 days.

I don't know about hingebacks, but the box turtles' eyes swelling closed is the first symptom from not eating.

Even if the tortoise doesn't drink the water, she does absorb some of the nutrients through her thin skin under the throat and around the cloaca.

Even if you don't believe me, try it anyway. What can it hurt?

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What kind of enclosure are you using? Which side does she usually stay? Do you have a hiding box for her? What have you been trying to feed her?
I can guess few reasons for her to keep flipping over. She is trying to escape, finding a good hidden spot, find a nesting spot, or she can see outside enclosure. Did she close eyes and keep walking up the wall?

Another thing, I would keep the cool side a little bit warmer for now, since she is not as healthy as your other hingeback.

Scott

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I'll give the baby food idea a shot. Hopefully that'll work. And it doesn't sound that crazy...

As for her enclosure, she's in a tub and she's been staying on the warm side. Raising the temp on the cool side won't be too difficult. I suppose that she could technically see through the tub since it is the frosted/clear material, but since her eyes are swollen shut I don't imagine that's an issue. I've been trying to tempt her with papaya since it is a favorite of my others and has a very strong smell, so I figured she might be able to find it blind.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Well, it's been 3 days and her eyes aren't open yet. However, she did lose what looked like eye gunk last night, which I think is a good sign. I think that I'll keep soaking her in the carrot mixes but we're definitely going to the vet Friday. I needed to have their fecal done anyway. Hopefully the vet knows what they're talking about- they are on the list here. Anyone have anything else to recommend in addition to the soaks? (I did already increase her enclosure temps.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The terramycin eye ointment is a miracle drug. Works wonders.

eyeointment.jpg

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Well, for a quick update, my tort's eyes still aren't open even after treating with the terramycin and the carrot baths. Those treatments are ongoing. However, she has managed to find and eat in her blinded state some mango that I especially over-ripened just for her. She has also put on a little bit if weight, so hopefully that means she's on the road to recovery. She'll be getting back in to the vet for another check, but initial tests indicate that she's parasite free.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Overall a very positive report!!! So happy to read it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.