Found my baby Hermann’s Upside Down Today

estherofrivia

Location (City and/or State)
Bronx, NY
Hi! I’m new to this forum, and a new baby Hermann’s owner. I got my tort (named Tiberius) on March 25th. I did a lot of research beforehand and everything has been going great so far, except for today.

I went to visit my father for the day, and I called my my mother to see how my tortoise was doing. She told me that she checked my tort a little while before I called her (which was about 10-15ish minutes before I got home). When I got home, I found my baby Hermann’s on its shell. I turned it over gently immediately, and it seemed to be walking around and everything. I was so scared that it had died. It was under the heat lamp, but not directly. I read online from some sources saying that the tortoise would be fine, while one even said that their tortoise died the next day after having flipped over (https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-tortoise-flipped-over-on-its-back.63270/). My tortoise is sleeping now, and I am so worried. I’m not sure how long it was on its back, but it hopefully wasn’t more than an hour. Will my tortoise be okay? I haven’t been able to sleep because of it.

For the soak in the morning, should it be longer than 15 or so minutes? I’m scared that Tiberius will be dehydrated. Thanks for any help, it’s all appreciated.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thanks! I think that the tortoise flipped over trying to get off of it’s food slate- so when it’s done eating, I will remove it entirely from the enclosure.

Slate does make a nice surface for feeding...just sqoosh it down into the substrate so that your wee one walks straight on-and-off.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They like to climb and have a tendancy to flip so whilst small, remove all climbing apparatus. Small stones and pebbles help for access in and out if water dishes. You can share pics if the enclosure fir feedback.

Arlington, MA
I know this is a little late, but how's your tort been since the flip? I recommend getting a little cam for their enclosure - i have one in my Bo's enclosure and it allows me to check on him when i'm not there in the room, so handy and offers a way to see how they have flipped themselves or if you have any problem areas in your torts home.