Found lost tortoise- sick. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbuck.harrison

5 Year Member
It's kind of embarrassing to admit. But, around the middle of April we were in the backyard and brought our Russian tortoise out to roam for a little bit since it was a warm day. We went inside and forgot about him for a couple hours. (I know. We feel so AWFUL about this! please no mean comments) And then we were unable to find him, despite searching everywhere and even enlisting the help of our neighbors. But then while digging back in the garden yesterday I found him! He was buried under a small rock- and still alive! Did he hibernate? He walked around for a while but then burrowed and stopped moving. His eyes seem cloudy and glazed. Not good. Today we have him back in his habitat with the heat lamp and everything but now his eyes are swollen shut. I hear he could be dehydrated (which would make sense, seeing as he was gone for a month and a half!) but should I get him into a vet or can we take care of him here? :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
He more than likely hibernated, puffy eyes usually indicate a respiratory infection, a vet visit will be needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jBuck.Harrison:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Quite a few new members ask us to be kind to them and not give out mean comments. Makes me wonder what other forums are like. We wouldn't do such a thing!! :D

You might get by with soaks at first. Try soaking the tortoise in warm baby food water for three or four days. If you don't see any results after that, then a vet visit (if you know a tortoise vet) is in order.

Gerber strained carrots mixed in warm water that comes up to the middle of the tortoise's sides. Leave him in the water for 30 minutes. Do this daily for three days and you should see an improvement.

If he doesn't start to eat once his eyes open, then you might have to take him to the vet.

What would you like us to call you?

..and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Gerber strained carrots mixed in warm water that comes up to the middle of the tortoise's sides. Leave him in the water for 30 minutes. Do this daily for three days and you should see an improvement.

If he doesn't start to eat once his eyes open, then you might have to take him to the vet.

DITTO :D

Status
Not open for further replies.