Found Greek Tortoise

Peter Edsall

Location (City and/or State)
Toulouse
We live in South West France and have been looking after a Greek tortoise which we found in our garden a year ago. No ones claimed her. Think shes about 2 yrs old. She was tiny when we found her. Shes grown and put on weight, and appears to be doing very well. We love her to bits. Just wanted to ask. Does anyone know what are the rules about bringing a tortoise back into uk. When we dont have proof of purchase?. Couldnt bear to give her away, If we have to return to uk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That would be awful. I've sent a message to one of our UK members who may be able to help you.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Thanks for tagging me @Yvonne G

I am afraid that I cannot bring the news that you want.ithout paperwork to prove the tortoise was captive bred you have no chance whatsoever of bringing it back to the UK.

The UK is very hot on CITES and even with paperwork the import process is a nightmare.

Despite the common name “Greek”, Testudo graeca has a huge range and can be found all round the Mediterranean. Your tort may well not be an escaped/lost pet.

There are a few good rescues in the south of France who may be able to help you.

@Reptilony are you able to offer any advice seeing as you actually live in the area?

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
Very sad to hear that. It seems such a shame when we are giving her a really good home.Can fully understand why UK is so strict. How will the organisation reptilony know if she an lost pet or illegal imported tortoise? I will try and contact them. Thankyou.

zovick

10 Year Member!
We live in South West France and have been looking after a Greek tortoise which we found in our garden a year ago. No ones claimed her. Think shes about 2 yrs old. She was tiny when we found her. Shes grown and put on weight, and appears to be doing very well. We love her to bits. Just wanted to ask. Does anyone know what are the rules about bringing a tortoise back into uk. When we dont have proof of purchase?. Couldnt bear to give her away, If we have to return to uk.
Do you have some photos of the tortoise you could post? Does it have a divided supracaudal scute and light spots on each cheek?

I am wondering if it is possible it could be a Western Hermann's Tortoise rather than a Greek Tortoise. The French Western Hermann's Tortoise population is in the Varoise area of southern France. Don't know if that corresponds with where you found the tortoise you have or not.

There is also a population of Western Hermann's Tortoises in Catalonia, Spain very close to the French border. Perhaps your tortoise could have originated from that population if you are in very extreme southwestern France.

Or maybe it is a Greek Tortoise. Photos would help to determine this. I am just curious to learn exactly what you found.

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
We live in South West France. Will take a picture.and try to Post it. Shes doubled her weight in a year almost to the day. B20200525_210628.jpgNow 200grammes and grown from 7.5 centimetres to 9 cms. Weve never had a tortoise before. A friend of ours who has tortoises said she thinks Tallulah is a female Greek.

zovick

10 Year Member!
We live in South West France. Will take a picture.and try to Post it. Shes doubled her weight in a year almost to the day. BView attachment 295659Now 200grammes and grown from 7.5 centimetres to 9 cms. Weve never had a tortoise before. A friend of ours who has tortoises said she thinks Tallulah is a female Greek.
Thanks for posting the photo. Yes, from what I can see she does appear to be a Greek Tortoise rather than a Western Hermann's.

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
No problem thanks for taking an interest. What a beautiful tortoise you have. Almost as lovely as our Tallulah! What type is it? Isnt nature just wonderful?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Very sad to hear that. It seems such a shame when we are giving her a really good home.Can fully understand why UK is so strict. How will the organisation reptilony know if she an lost pet or illegal imported tortoise? I will try and contact them. Thankyou.
The rescue should be able to put a clear id on species and whether or not the tortoise is a native.

This doesn’t help you get to it to the UK. The UK’s rules are there to prevent animals from being taken from the wild and, without paperwork, there’s nothing to prove the domesticated nature of this tortoise. There is no solution to this. If you come back to the UK your tort will need to be rehomed.

Unfortunately, as with Red Eared Sliders, some non native species of tortoise have got into the wild in Southern Europe and are breeding. Generally these should not be released if captured. The natives shouldn’t have been captured in the first place and a rescue can advise on what’s best going forward. They may also be able to help with care if you have to return to the UK.

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
Yes can fully understand. The illegal trading of these creatures is simply dreadful.If and when we have to return to UK We hope a refuge will be able to rehome her. Thank you for your advice, We will enjoy caring for her correctly whilst we can.

zovick

10 Year Member!
No problem thanks for taking an interest. What a beautiful tortoise you have. Almost as lovely as our Tallulah! What type is it? Isnt nature just wonderful?
Yes, I agree. Nature is wonderful indeed.

The tortoise in my photo is one of my Radiated Tortoises. I bred and hatched three CB generations of them from 1972 through 2018.