Found crossing busy highway near toll both. How old is he?m

Turdleelewis

Location (City and/or State)
New york
How about “pretty old” adult.... I’m surprised he's not dug into the mud getting ready for a long Winter’s nap.

So, you just found him this weekend?
No. It was back in aug sept. That I got him across the road. I was so tempted to keep him for my female that I’ve had for two years that I bought from tortoise town. But he just looked so beautiful , happy and older that he belonged in the wild.

Turdleelewis

New york
No. It was back in aug sept. That I got him across the road. I was so tempted to keep him for my female that I’ve had for two years that I bought from tortoise town. But he just looked so beautiful , happy and older that he belonged in the wild.
he has sort of like a double shell that I thought was a sign of age or just really healthy. Down near the back of his shell. What is that all about ? He appears to have been living along the banks of the Hudson River.

Turdleelewis

New york
Ten or twelve years of age. I wonder why he's not dug in somewhere brumating. Makes me wonder if someone dumped him.
How do you guesstimate his age from the picture, I’m just wondering because I thought he could have been 50 years old. How do you determine his age. I have a two year old female. I got it for my grandson who’s 8. And his mother wouldn’t let him have it. And a smart woman she is. Because it’s a lot of work and responsibility. Even for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's fairly young because the shell isn't worn smooth, you can still see growth rings. Also, he looks like he's been captive for that same reason, and because his nails are too long. A wild turtle doesn't have those long curved nails.

Turdleelewis

New york
He's fairly young because the shell isn't worn smooth, you can still see growth rings. Also, he looks like he's been captive for that same reason, and because his nails are too long. A wild turtle doesn't have those long curved nails.
Dang it!!! I knew I should’ve kept him!! But I was also afraid of him doing something to my female.

Turdleelewis

New york
. I hope you can tell me if
Eastern turtle are usually colorful at that size. Maybe she's a gulf coast????
i hope someone who sees her on this sight can tell me more, and if she looks healthy? I was really hoping for the yellow markings. That’s part of the reason I picked this type of turtle. Or did tortoise town sell me a turtle that was different then I had asked for?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks like a three toed box turtle in my opinion. Looks healthy but also looks much older than 2 years. I'd guess at least 5.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a three toed box turtle in my opinion. Looks healthy but also looks much older than 2 years. I'd guess at least 5.
Hard to see, but it really looks like more than three toes on the back feet. That's why I said maybe Gulf Coast. All my gulf coast are plain brown like that with no markings except for the little triangles on the plastron.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hard to see, but it really looks like more than three toes on the back feet. That's why I said maybe Gulf Coast. All my gulf coast are plain brown like that with no markings except for the little triangles on the plastron.
I've never seen a gulf coast so your probably right.

Turdleelewis

New york
I looked up the gulf coast box and there was one that looked identical and the plastron looked the same. And they are supposed to be largest of the box turtles, which I know I got this one two christmases ago and she was the size of a fifty cent piece. She was considered a juvenile from tortoise town. I’m so happy I found this forum I hate not knowing things I should know. But , I guess you have to dig a little deeper for some things. Thank you, you’ve been a great help and along with the other posters.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
She looks really healthy. With that rapid growth rate she almost has to be a Gulf coast.