Found box turtle? Please help. Missing an eye

Dessy

Hello everyone i need some help identifying this little guy. A friend found him under a car and he seems to be missing an eye. I live in the Chicago south suburb area. I dont know much about box turtles i told him to give him a warm soak and get him someplace warm.

1457713025483.jpg 1457713032071.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's rough out there.
tell your friend to take him as near where it was found as possible in a wooded area and let it go. He'll survive and there are very likely laws with some stiff fines for even touching a native turtle.
Best of luck.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's rough out there.
tell your friend to take him as near where it was found as possible in a wooded area and let it go. He'll survive and there are very likely laws with some stiff fines for even touching a native turtle.
Best of luck.
Doesn't this look like a three toed box turtle though? If so it's not native to illinois. I don't think so......I believe e eastern are.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hello everyone i need some help identifying this little guy. A friend found him under a car and he seems to be missing an eye. I live in the Chicago south suburb area. I dont know much about box turtles i told him to give him a warm soak and get him someplace warm.
How many toes on back feet? I don't think he's native so shouldn't be released.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Make a little compress, moisten it and put a small dab of Neosporin ointment on it then hold it on the turtle's eyeless side. You may have to grab his head behind his jaws and hold it out. I'm wondering if once you soften all that dried gunk you may see there really is an eye under there.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
but do you know for a fact it's a 3 toed? i can see some faint shell markings on the dirty shell
He looks 3 toed to me. My 3 toed has markings on his shell. But that's why I asked how many toes on back. He looks more 3 toed than eastern.

Arlenetorturtle

View attachment 167335 View attachment 167336
Dessy, these are native to Oklahoma and here in Texas, I have 4, this is a female 3 toe box turtle, soak him good, put neosporian on his eye, he will be fine, he loves nightcrawlers! I have had them for over 10 years. Arlene