Found Another Wild Baby

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I was pulling weeds and grass from around the heat pump and found another baby eastern box turtle.Picture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpgHere are a couple more pics just to show more of the area he is staying in.Picture 008.jpgPicture 009.jpgI left him there and covered him up with some of the weeds I had pulled. This is the fifth one (3 in front yard and 2in back) that I have seen in the past 2 years. I've only seen 4 this year, but there are probably more that I haven't seen because they are so secretive when young.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow, someone has some impressive eyes! Good spotting Len, you are down in St. Mary's?

When I was a kid, I learned from an old guy that all the animals are there, all you have to do is to be looking for them......and you will see them if you are looking for them. My own kids used to ask after I got home from work each day..."see anything, catch anything?"

Some days there would be a worm or green snake in the box, other times a lizard I had caught......and not very often a turtle.

Great catch!

jeff

PS--kind of funny to me to see the cactus growing right next to the condensate drain outlet......lol

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
very cool find. we found about a year old eastern box turtle a few weeks ago and put her farther from the road. Put her in the woods on our property.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Super cool Len! I found one in my backyard a few weeks ago. First one I've seen here in years but apparently they're around, and breeding.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Cool
I haven't seen a little boxie in years
If I didn't have the adults living and breeding in the back yard I most likely wouldn't see many youngsters either. Adults are a pretty common sight here in peoples yards though. The little ones don't show themselves very often.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow, someone has some impressive eyes! Good spotting Len, you are down in St. Mary's?

When I was a kid, I learned from an old guy that all the animals are there, all you have to do is to be looking for them......and you will see them if you are looking for them. My own kids used to ask after I got home from work each day..."see anything, catch anything?"

Some days there would be a worm or green snake in the box, other times a lizard I had caught......and not very often a turtle.

Great catch!

jeff

PS--kind of funny to me to see the cactus growing right next to the condensate drain outlet......lol
I would have never seen it if I wasn't pulling weeds. No not ST. Marys I have a place in Calvert but this guy is across the Potomac in Virginia.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If I didn't have the adults living and breeding in the back yard I most likely wouldn't see many youngsters either. Adults are a pretty common sight here in peoples yards though. The little ones don't show themselves very often.
I saw them pretty often in the woods in South Carolina.
But I've only seen a few adults here in Florida