found a tortoise in the dog park!! help with identification and care please :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayac

5 Year Member
cpm.jpg P1090618.JPGP1090612 44.jpg I was out with my dogs in the dog park near my home ( I live in costa rica) and saw this tortoise on the side walk, it was limping a lot and seems to have been bitten as it has some kind of dent on its shell... I brought it back home to prevent it from getting hurt by any other dogs but I have no idea how to care for it, as i dont know what kind of tortoise it is!

currently I have it in a box with some leaves , water, lettuce and tomato... I just want to care for it correctly till Im able to get to a vet!

I'll attach some pictures to help with identification, thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I did a google search for north american wood turtle and came up with pictures that look a lot like that one, it is not native to california so maybe someones escaped pet. I can't say for sure 100% but that is what it looks like to me, I am sure danny will be along to ID sooner or later.

mayac

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I did a google search for north american wood turtle and came up with pictures that look a lot like that one, it is not native to california so maybe someones escaped pet. I can't say for sure 100% but that is what it looks like to me, I am sure danny will be along to ID sooner or later.

I also did google search but I live in central america and cant seem to find anything reliable to ID him... i'll ask some of the neighbours if someone lost it or maybe put up some fliers... thankss =D

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry I saw costa rice I thought you meant costa rica CA

I am not very good with geography

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
they are very pretty turtle, and I thought that care sheet was fantastic, even though I don't own any.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its a baby.. so it was either hatched near the dog park or a bird picked it up and dropped it inthe dog park..
lucky he found you!
does it appear to be able to be released or does it need medical help?

mayac

5 Year Member
Laura said:
its a baby.. so it was either hatched near the dog park or a bird picked it up and dropped it inthe dog park..
lucky he found you!
does it appear to be able to be released or does it need medical help?

I have noo idea, he (or she) seems better than when I found it but I will take it to the vet just to be sure its completely healthy... =D

egyptiandan said:
You have found an Ornate wood turtle, Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima manni. Very much native to Costa Rica. Here's a good caresheet for them http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/rpulcherrimacare.htm

Danny

Thank you so much :D!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
mayac said:
I was out with my dogs in the dog park near my home ( I live in costa rica) and saw this tortoise on the side walk, it was limping a lot and seems to have been bitten as it has some kind of dent on its shell... I brought it back home to prevent it from getting hurt by any other dogs but I have no idea how to care for it, as i dont know what kind of tortoise it is!

currently I have it in a box with some leaves , water, lettuce and tomato... I just want to care for it correctly till Im able to get to a vet!

I'll attach some pictures to help with identification, thanks in advance!!

It is rhinoclemmys pulcherrima. Make sure a shallow pan of water is available for bathing. They are omnivors, the turtle probably won't eat for a few days due to the stress. Keep it in low light and don't disturb it much until the vet visit, that should be stressful enough. Offer sweet fruits mango,papaya, melon...
Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.