Found a toroise in my backyard

Montes779

Location (City and/or State)
Mission Hills
Hello, I found a tortoise in my backyard. I asked my surrounding neighbors and none of them own a tortoise. I am also unsure if it is a wild tortoise and why It would just turn up in my back yard. I will attach a picture. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210714_103118.jpg
    20210714_103118.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 125

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello, I found a tortoise in my backyard. I asked my surrounding neighbors and none of them own a tortoise. I am also unsure if it is a wild tortoise and why It would just turn up in my back yard. I will attach a picture. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
That's a desert tortoise. Most likely a wild tortoise. Where is "Mission hills" located, CA, AZ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is indeed a desert tortoise. There is no way a wild tortoise would be in your area. The look of the tortoise also indicates it is a captive raised tortoise. Check all the places you can think for posts about a lost desert tortoise in your area. Facebook, Neighborhood posts, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is indeed a desert tortoise. There is no way a wild tortoise would be in your area. The look of the tortoise also indicates it is a captive raised tortoise. Check all the places you can think for posts about a lost desert tortoise in your area. Facebook, Neighborhood posts, etc.
You don't think with all the fires, etc that happens in CA that they haven't tried to find better spaces or forced to go into neighborhoods, travel further and into places they normally wouldnt be?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You don't think with all the fires, etc that happens in CA that they haven't tried to find better spaces or forced to go into neighborhoods, travel further and into places they normally wouldnt be?
Mission Hills is quite a ways from any native range with a huge mountain range in between. The look of the tortoise also certainly indicates it is not a wild tortoise. I appears to be about a 5-6 year old tortoise with some pyramiding. A youngster not an old timer!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is your yard totally fenced? How long have you lived in this house?

Chigal1

CA
I agree it's a DT and wild. Leave it wild.
Mission hills he’s a populated city. He would not be able to let him go there. I bet somebody had that tortoise and it got out of their yard. He could’ve walked along way.