Found A Hatchling After Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We haven't seen the sun for 3 days, and had rain since yesterday morning.It's been warm this fall but the temps have been dropping since yesterday, supposed to get well below freezing tonight. I went out after the rain stopped about 2 pm to turn Walkers overhead heat on while he was out grazing and bring in a hypo RES that for some reason didn't want to hibernate, when I picked up the RES I saw a hatchling box turtle sitting next to the container it was in. At first i thought it was one of the hibernating box turtles that had gotten out of the area where they are.But now I'm sure it is one that normally would not have come out until next spring if it hadn't been so warm this fall,brought out by the rain.it was 42 degrees when I spotted it.I took a pic of it with the tiny-tiny one(the larger one) so you could how big the tiny one has grown,it's hard to tell but the coin is a quarter.Did not find any other new babies today, will look again tomorrow. Len

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Must be very exciting finding the hatchling, is it in good shape? hope you find more.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
wow that's a quarter? good thing you had the heat source out there for it to find. Maybe you should leave it on for a few days?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
dmmj said:
wow that's a quarter? good thing you had the heat source out there for it to find. Maybe you should leave it on for a few days?
There is no heat source where the box turtles are kept. Walkers house in in a separate area of the yard, He is the only one that gets a heated house.The little box turtle was just sitting there looking like he belonged there in the cold.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
How fun! I have a few missing nests in my pens as well. I keep hoping to find some babies walking around one of these days. Congrats! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When I grow up, can I have a yard like yours? :D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Agreed a yard where you find little hatchlings roaming would be awesome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw...I love things like that!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Excellent ! ..... Always a great find ... I've had a similar experience ...very cool~ Enjoy!

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.