Found a drop of blood, very concerning

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

Location (City and/or State)
HARTLAND, WI
Hello,
Yesterday, 3-27-21, my husband and I were going to bathe Charlie and I just happened to use a whitish towel. When I picked him up for the bath, there was a little "blood smear". I know it wasn't poo, and my husband and I looked him over and over and we thought it was a scale on his front leg that looked like it got scraped "loose".
Would this be a thing?
Now today we can't seem to see anything.
Another thought was, maybe the huge poo he had yesterday, which had grass in it might be a problem? I took the grass away until I am okay or know more.
I can't find any answers about wheat grass but he absolutely loves it but now I'm afraid to let him have it.
I'm trying not to get terrified but we are the "grandparents " and he is here 1/2 the year. I just don't want to mess him up!

I use soft shavings and the coconut fiber. During the day he has 3 hiding spots and none of them have sharp edges.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species and size tortoise?

Grass does not cause the issue you saw. You can let him eat the grass.

A leg scales can get damaged any number of ways, and that is fairly common. If you saw a loose scale, that is the most likely explanation for the blood. It will coagulate, scab, and eventually heal, so you should not see any more blood if that was the issue.

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI
What type of "shavings"?
Are there any other tortoises, dogs or anything else within biting range?
Charlie is a Red footed Tortoise. He's almost 6 lbs. and 5.5 years old. We've inherited him for half a year at a time from our daughter. There are no other animals by him. Charlie sleeps in his cage and can roam during the day when he's up, the shavings are the soft kind for bunnies and reptiles. I also rechecked his legs and arms super careful yesterday and today during his tubbing and made sure there were no pieces of shavings stuck to his legs. I swear everything we saw the other day is completely gone. The one picture is through the glass and my phone takes very unclear pics. Glad my hubby saw it too or else I would be called paranoid and overprotective by my daughter! I'm just so relieved he's okay!

Attachments

• Charlie eating lunch 20210320.jpg
    Charlie eating lunch 20210320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Charlie trying some collards and dandelions 20210216.jpg
    Charlie trying some collards and dandelions 20210216.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI
What species and size tortoise?

Grass does not cause the issue you saw. You can let him eat the grass.

A leg scales can get damaged any number of ways, and that is fairly common. If you saw a loose scale, that is the most likely explanation for the blood. It will coagulate, scab, and eventually heal, so you should not see any more blood if that was the issue.
So glad to know about the grass. I'll give it back :) I looked the past 2 days and there was nothing wrong with any of his scales. When I give him a tub, I let him soak for a while and he has a little "island" if he's sick of walking around the water. I make sure I gently clean behind his head and legs with a q-tip and he gets a light scrub all over. I'm making sure he stays hydrated as I live in the northern mid-west and we're indoors. My phone takes very fuzzy pictures but here's a picture of him waiting for his tub. Thank you!

Attachments

• Charlie waiting for his bath 3 26 21.jpg
    Charlie waiting for his bath 3 26 21.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Those shavings are a very poor substrate choice.
A Redfoot needs high humidity. Above 70%.
I strongly recommend using fine Orchid bark that is partially moistened. It can be found in your local garden center.
Pure Orchid bark is the same product as that pet shop "REPTIBARK". But is much less expensive.
Your Redfoot needs a temperature of 80 to 86.
Humidity of over 70%
No harsh lights or very hot areas and a linear UVB FLORESCENT TUBE UVB.

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI
I will get some tomorrow and get rid of the shavings! I also have coconut fiber, would that be a good choice also? I have humidifiers in the room and keep the coconut fiber moistened. I will do it more.
I also created a little forest to shade him from the strong light. I have a double lamp with a UVB. Should I only be using the UVB side. Thank you!

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI
Here's the description of the orchid bark. I will get more than this
Bagged 4 quart size. Just for the hobbyist that does not need a large 2 1/2 cu ft bag
Small size bark chip, approximately 1/2" in size.
Heat treated and sterilized Douglas Fir
Bark allows great drainage and air to root of the plant
Rexius Douglas Fir Bark for Orchids - Small Chip Size - 1 Gallon