Found a bug in my enclosure

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I am not a creepy crawly fan either and not too keen on snakes or slithering things but last summer I over came my fear of touching slow worms in order to rescue them from the garden of my late sister when her house was being sold. I tried to just use a net so that I wouldn't have to touch them but that was pretty fruitless as contrary to their name they are very quick when warmed up, so armed with wellies, thick rubber gloves with all loose clothing well tucked in I faced my fear and managed to catch and relocate almost 70. They were mostly babies but quite a few big ones too and probably hundreds more left there but I ran out of time. I only hope those left managed to hibernate out of the way before any big garden work started. Sounds very brave but I know that if one of them, however small, had wriggled up my sleeve or jeans I would have been hysterical!

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
You've never seen a lightning quick, flying and very large Florida palmetto bug or flying water beetle, have you?
It's the stuff nightmares are made of. Once you see them, you wont worry about the other bugs. They become almost pleasant!o_O

You brought back horrible memories. I lived in Sunrise for a year. While I was there I had a very large palmetto bug dive bomb me. Knocked me off my feet. Tripped over the coffee table. I ran out of the house screaming and would not go back until my husband came home and killed it. There is nothing like the palmetto bugs in Sunrise!! It was the size of a humming bird I swear!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've never seen a lightning quick, flying and very large Florida palmetto bug or flying water beetle, have you?
It's the stuff nightmares are made of. Once you see them, you wont worry about the other bugs. They become almost pleasant!o_O

I catch and ID those when I'm down South. There are at least a dozen species that people call "palmetto" bugs. Most of them are Blatta orientalis, but I've seen a few Blaberus too. I always have my southern friends point out to me what they think is a "palmetto bug", then I run over and catch it and hold it up asking if this is a "palmetto bug" while they scream, flail and run away... Good times, I tell ya'. I can't think of a more harmless animal that generates so much fear and disgust.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Out tortoises, turtles and other reptiles are all wonderful beautiful animals.
But so are arthropods, all your 'bugs', insects, spiders and so on. They are fascinating and usually harmless if treated gently.
I often let wasps, bees, bugs etc crawl over me and have yet to be stung, except by scorpions a few times, and always my fault for fiddling with them.
Even mosquitoes rarely bite me, though they adore my wife.
All nature is wonderful.
Except camels.

Camels are AWESOME! I have one. Its all about how they are handled and raised. Much like dogs.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Camels are AWESOME! I have one. Its all about how they are handled and raised. Much like dogs.
Well, I have plenty of experience with dromedaries and bactrians and they are without exception bad-tampered, vicious, smelly, spitting, biting unpleasant beasties. Though, as a believer in empathy, I have positive empathy to most animals and a most definitely negative feeling towards camels which is seemingly reciprocated. So, probably my fault.
I'm sure your camel, brought up in Western fashion is a nice creature and mean him/her no disrespect. But I bet it wouldn't like me.

seiff

I've got bugs too... in the process of trying to ID. The overwhelming theory is it's from unsterilized coco.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd rather be locked in a room with a pride of hungry tigers than a single Florida roach!
Have you seen a Cuban "Deaths Head" roach? Big, but not very fast. Fast is part of what makes them creepy.
The big water beetle ones you can drive over with a car and they walk away...Mildly upset.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'd rather be locked in a room with a pride of hungry tigers than a single Florida roach!
Have you seen a Cuban "Deaths Head" roach? Big, but not very fast. Fast is part of what makes them creepy.
The big water beetle ones you can drive over with a car and they walk away...Mildly upset.
These sound so very much like the giant roaches at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. Dude. One of the hardest things I had to do was stand at attention against a wall with those horrid creatures crawling on the wall around my head. That and kamikaze crash flying into me. -cringe- -cringe -cringe-

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
These sound so very much like the giant roaches at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. Dude. One of the hardest things I had to do was stand at attention against a wall with those horrid creatures crawling on the wall around my head. That and kamikaze crash flying into me. -cringe- -cringe -cringe-
Goodness, they're harmless little things. They won't eat you.
Probably