Fostering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
I'm considering placing Ralph in a foster home for a while. We HAVE to do something about the bugs and spiders at our house. It seems pointless to only spray the front yard. But if they spray the backyard, doesn't he have to be out of the area for at least 6 months?

Tonight we found a 2 inch wolf spider in our house. Normally since their bite isn't lethal, we'd just watch out for them (we are infested with black widows, but this is the first wolf spider I've ever seen). But my son is DEATHLY allergic to spider bites. If he's bitten, his entire body starts swelling . He was bit on the hand when he was 18 months and within 20 min his entire arm up to his shoulder was 4 times the normal size. Though, we don't know what type of spider it was.

So in order to reduce the spiders, we need to get rid of their food supply. In order to get rid of their food supply, we need to call in pest control (unless ANYONE here has an organic suggestion that WORKS).

So how does fostering work? Will they keep him seperated from other torts? I hope so. Will they let me visit? If I didn't visit often (about once a week), would he forget me? Would he have to get readjusted to the yard?

I'm so torn up about this.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Debbie,

I really don't know of an organic way to get rid of the spiders - we have a lot of black widows here too. We destroy their eggs when we see them and I spray the areas around the outside of the house where the tortoises never go. Because your son is allergic, I would want to have pest control too! I'm sure you can find someone who would foster Ralph for you and let you visit (wish I was closer to you). Hang in there, hopefully, you'll hear from someone from the forum who can either give you organic pest control measures or work out a fostering arrangement for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.