Fostering a young Green Iguana, advice?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386686892.539591.jpg

I'm helping another reptile rescue organization, and agreed to take in this Iggy. He was owner-surrendered by a woman with three males in one small enclosure, and this one was bullying. He's ~24" total length. ~9" nose to vent,

He's very fearful and runs from me, even if I gently and quietly just replace food/water and back away. He postures and slaps. I feel awful for him.

I'm trying to find him an experience home, but that is not easy. Not sure I am comfortable with placing him with a newbie. I wouldn't call Iggys a "starter lizard".

Any thoughts or ideas? Unless I get a bigger enclosure, I can't keep him here long.

I'm in Oregon. Willing to ship when temperatures increase if anyone would like him.

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Ugh. I wish I could take him! He's such a cutie! Unfortunately I cannot accommodate to a lizard while I freak out about the Russians hibernating, Ahhhhhhhh.. Sorry. I'll ask around

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
That was my estimation as well, considering his length.
I don't mind keeping him longer if I can borrow a larger enclosure, he's sorta crammed into an aquarium. He's got places to climb and bask, but this is definitely not ok for long term housing.

I am pleased that he's eating well.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Thank you, Tom. Reassuring.

I moved him to a much larger enclosure I borrowed from the Wildlife inventory of our veterinary hospital (we used to be a certified/licensed wildlife rehab hospital).

Im pretty pleased with it. I added one of my 24" ReptiSun fluorescents, his heat lamp, a fake plant to hide around, and a larger log to bask on.

He wasn't impressed with the move (I gently toweled him, was going well, proceeded to finally examine him, and he nailed me). Ouch. Feelings hurt. He's so terrified. He's in his new warm house, glued to the wall, covered up. Should I leave him covered for a few more day? I've never lived with an Iggy, only treated the at work. If a client where to ask me, I'd say leave him be, covered, for a few days. Thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them calm down with frequent handling. Some of them get worse. I have seen a few really tame nice ones, but most of them were nasty. Seems like the healthier they are the less they will tolerate human interaction.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Fostering a young Green Iguana, advice?

Tom said:
Some of them calm down with frequent handling. Some of them get worse. I have seen a few really tame nice ones, but most of them were nasty. Seems like the healthier they are the less they will tolerate human interaction.

Way to boost her confidence, Tom. Haha jkjk

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can try valerian root on his food in a small amount . It is a natural calming supplement. This is what I used when I had one . I also used it on show pigs to calm them before a show . With daily feeding he will warm up to you . Get some gloves that go up to your elbows will come in handy to . Them claws will scar you up . Trust me I have scars on my arm from my little doodoo . Thats what my son named him when he was a baby. Now doodoo is living out his life as a king at a friends house . I had to let him go to him . Ran into some hard times to be honest I lost my job and my house moved in with mother in law = no big lizards . But any how just thought I would let you now about that little trick. I would love to have the one you have but I don't have the setup anymore . Also let him cool down a little will take some of the fight out of him. I would handle mine after the heat lamp turns off . Don't give him the valerian root everyday just as needed . It will not dope him up I promise .

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Do know they need daily handling lots of attention to stay friendly with that they make great pets.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
actually, iggy's are infamous for their shi**y personalities as youngsters. if not handled the 'just right' amount they dont grow out of it. a pain in the neck, but once you get the hang of it, you can have one AWESOME lizard..(hence, why people who have had them for a while have better reports than people who only had one or two). youre doing the right things (so long as you get him to a bigger enclosure like you said), so just keep at it.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Thank you all. I will try the Valerian trick. I've used it on myself to help sleep. Couldn't hurt. He's been thru so many changes in a short period of time, I don't blame him for being defensive. My veterinary knowledge of these is limited, just don't treat that many, but I definitely gloved up for the big ones.

He's got enough fresh food and water to last 24 hours, so I'm going to leave him be...covered and quiet, until tomorrow morning. My house is quiet, I rarely turn on the TV, my dogs don't bark, and it's just me, so his new house is in the living room. Hoping he will slowly adjust to daily life.

He apparently was quiet the jerk to the other two Igs he lived with, so I think he's just a dominant young man. Doubtful he was handled/socialized much, as the owner obviously had no clue.

He's free (you pay shipping) to anyone would like to give him a loving, quiet home.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
He's got a home! A family with experience with reptiles, who's husband has always wanted an Iguana. They already have a small snake and several turtles, and own a large farm with a surplus of fresh veggies. Perfect home. Before they take him, we are having a "family meeting" about the care, health, diet, and BEHAVIOR of Iguanas. They are on board and more than ready to take him on. I'm so pleased. This will be one lucky Iggy with a dream home.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats good news . I wish I could take him but i don't have what he needs to be happy . Your doing a great job saving our little scaled friends .

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Iguana is officially in his new and experienced home. They are organic farmers, so they have an endless supply of fresh greens and fruit. They have a huge living room, vaulted ceilings, and tall fancy live trees. I released him and he immediately climbed to the top and seemed finally relaxed. There is a sun ledge for him to bask and watch the outdoors, and they are already planning a rope system for him to explore the heights. I almost cried.

These people are also often features on Portland's "Sustainability Today" show, (I actually have a short interview lined up for next Friday with them, as their resident Vet Tech and farm volunteer), and they plan to use him to further educate people about animal care, rights, rescuing and ownership. I'm so excited. More exposure for our beloved reptiles to have better lives as a result.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man it sounds like you could've not found a better home than that .

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Wow sounds like he has a perfect home. The rope system sounds awesome!