Forum Signatures Feedback

What should be allowed in signatures:

• Leave it as it is! Anything goes!

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Links are OK but photos should go!

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I like links if they're relevant and non-spammy. No photos though!

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • I agree with Josh - No links or photos!

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
I am just tossing this out- it is NOT a policy change, official moderator comment, or anything like that...

...what if there was a fee you could pay that got you the right to a big signature?

I LIKE one of Josh's earlier proposals- a two-line sig. I changed my sig to see if I could do it and be happy with it and I really like the results.

Short, clean sigs would also make life easier for mobile users, computers with small screens, and users with slow connections.

But, some people like the 'bling'. What if you could buy the right to the bling?

Just thinking out loud (when I probably shouldn't!) :)
great idea then we could use the money too buy everyone else a bigger signature

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Or use the money to not have to have ads...

B K

5 Year Member
What do the people who voted no links or photos dislike about them how are they affecting you . Just curious

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally don't mind a signature like Dr. Todd's, or anyone else listing all the stuff they list. But I hate the pictures, I think they are getting too big... and now we are getting video's too and I think that's getting out of control. It takes so long for the thread to load when those who use the video's and pictures have replied on that thread before me. Sometimes I don't log on until evening; then those who have more time then I do have already posted, sometimes several times, and all those big pictures and video's make the thread too long to show up.

When I post a problem with my Sulcata I do like to know when Suzie Cream Cheese answers that she also has Sulcata, so I think letting those who want to list SOME of their animals is fine.

But all these big pictures and video's are out of control...and please don't take it personally because I happen to like some of you who use big pictures and/or video's...:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I really gotta meet this susie cream cheese, she sounds great.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I like the signatures and they don't slow down my computer, but if the site has issues with them I would have no problem with any changes that are made...Adapt and continue on....

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
maggie3fan said:
I personally don't mind a signature like Dr. Todd's, or anyone else listing all the stuff they list. But I hate the pictures, I think they are getting too big... and now we are getting video's too and I think that's getting out of control. It takes so long for the thread to load when those who use the video's and pictures have replied on that thread before me. Sometimes I don't log on until evening; then those who have more time then I do have already posted, sometimes several times, and all those big pictures and video's make the thread too long to show up.

When I post a problem with my Sulcata I do like to know when Suzie Cream Cheese answers that she also has Sulcata, so I think letting those who want to list SOME of their animals is fine.

But all these big pictures and video's are out of control...and please don't take it personally because I happen to like some of you who use big pictures and/or video's...:)

Now that I know that my sig pic was slowing people down, I am happy to take it off. Sorry!

M

Maggie Cummings

CtTortoise said:
maggie3fan said:

When I post a problem with my Sulcata I do like to know when Suzie Cream Cheese answers that she also has Sulcata, so I think letting those who want to list SME of their animals is fine.

Now that I know that my sig pic was slowing people down, I am happy to take it off. Sorry!

No Rob, it's not you I am talking about. It's those big pictures and videos aimed I guess at newbies. I have 34 animals here in my small rescue right now, and more pictures of tortoises is the last thing I want to see. Especially the same pictures over and over. And, before you ask, no, changing the picture will not change my mind. I think the big pictures and videos have got to go. That's what an avatar is for, a picture of your choice..

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
maggie3fan said:
CtTortoise said:
maggie3fan said:

When I post a problem with my Sulcata I do like to know when Suzie Cream Cheese answers that she also has Sulcata, so I think letting those who want to list SME of their animals is fine.

No Rob, it's not you I am talking about. It's those big pictures and videos aimed I guess at newbies. I have 34 animals here in my small rescue right now, and more pictures of tortoises is the last thing I want to see. Especially the same pictures over and over. And, before you ask, no, changing the picture will not change my mind. I think the big pictures and videos have got to go. That's what an avatar is for, a picture of your choice..

Now I wish you had a list of your 34 animals in your sig!:shy:

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I suggest Josh clearly define (if it hasn't been done already somewhere) the post header and signature for what he thinks they should be, including the bio/profile page that is available publicly. It just seems like all three sections are used for the same things. If we have the option to show things in three areas then there should not be an issue here. If the three sections are not being used as intended, then I think Josh needs to make some changes.

M

Maggie Cummings

OK...ya'll can please stop sending me the hate mail already!!! Don't take what I said personally. I have tried to explain, I have nothing against the person, or people. It's just the big pictures and video are irritating I guess. I am here to read the posts and to try and help whom ever needs the advice that I might be able to give. With this new laptop especially when I click on a thread to read and those of you with big pictures have already posted your advice, sometimes several times; it takes so long for the thread to roll out that I figure why bother so I just close it before it opens all the way and I go on to something else.

Now I can see I have offended some of you that I happen to like so I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I am being told I shouldn't have said anything. It's just hard, I am a very honest person and when I'm asked I say what I mean. But I seriously didn't mean to offend or hurt anyone. So I am trying to apologize. You are important people and your pictures and videos are important to the group. So just keep doing what you do, and I will just get more housework done...:) :D:tort:

Rob...are you being sarcastic when you say you wish I had my animals in my signature? Heck, it's hard enough for me just to post advice once in a while, printing out all my animals would be a serious pain. I just took in a blind Eastern Box Turtle, she's bitten me twice thinking I was food, I'd send her to you if you were in the South!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think pictures and links in the signatures are more trouble then they are worth, and take away from the threads. It would be different if there wasn't sections of the forums specifically made for pictures and links.

M

Maggie Cummings

I see ALDABRAMAN man has taken off his picture...I wish he hadn't done that. I am sorry, I didn't mean to hurt or offend anyone. I don't expect anyone to change because of me. It's obvious I am in the minority and all I did was express my opinion, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone. Josh asked a question and I answered, I am sorry I said anything. I am backing out of this whole poll thing, I am in the minority, I am just an old lady who didn't know when to keep her mouth shut. I really didn't mean for anyone to change just because I expressed my opinion...I will leave now and go do my housework, like I said I would. ALDABRAMAN please go back to what makes you comfortable...I am sorry...I don't know what else to say...

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
maggie3fan said:
Rob...are you being sarcastic when you say you wish I had my animals in my signature? Heck, it's hard enough for me just to post advice once in a while, printing out all my animals would be a serious pain. I just took in a blind Eastern Box Turtle, she's bitten me twice thinking I was food, I'd send her to you if you were in the South!

I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm sure it would be interesting to see what animals you have in your care, but you are right, listing 34 animals probably would be pretty difficult! :D I think it's amazing that you are able to care for and help so many animals in need.

As for sig pictures, I took mine down until the issue is resolved, and I haven't lost a bit of sleep over it! I think there is probably a way to do it so that there is some uniformity which will make it less distracting. My favorite happens to be the ones like Torty Moms, sort of a long narrow banner showing her animals with their names. Not too big and informative.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
maggie3fan said:
I see ALDABRAMAN man has taken off his picture...I wish he hadn't done that. I am sorry, I didn't mean to hurt or offend anyone. I don't expect anyone to change because of me. It's obvious I am in the minority and all I did was express my opinion, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone. Josh asked a question and I answered, I am sorry I said anything. I am backing out of this whole poll thing, I am in the minority, I am just an old lady who didn't know when to keep her mouth shut. I really didn't mean for anyone to change just because I expressed my opinion...I will leave now and go do my housework, like I said I would. ALDABRAMAN please go back to what makes you comfortable...I am sorry...I don't know what else to say...

I have decided not to post anymore picture, at least not for awhile! :D

:tort: I will say that I did not know we could turn of signatures and avatars. I did it and I like it better, it does clean up the post and is much easier to read. I think there is more to this issue about the signature pictures, videos, links, and member advertisements. If Josh and the TFO board members feel change is needed, just do it. That means everyone and all, no exceptions or favortism! :(:D Shellys video, Marty's giant picture, and what ever else is whatever, it should have not been allowed in the first place. Most people will follow the rules if they know what the rules are. We all wil adjust and move on!

B K

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
OK...ya'll can please stop sending me the hate mail already!!! Don't take what I said personally. I have tried to explain, I have nothing against the person, or people. It's just the big pictures and video are irritating I guess. I am here to read the posts and to try and help whom ever needs the advice that I might be able to give. With this new laptop especially when I click on a thread to read and those of you with big pictures have already posted your advice, sometimes several times; it takes so long for the thread to roll out that I figure why bother so I just close it before it opens all the way and I go on to something else.

Now I can see I have offended some of you that I happen to like so I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I am being told I shouldn't have said anything. It's just hard, I am a very honest person and when I'm asked I say what I mean. But I seriously didn't mean to offend or hurt anyone. So I am trying to apologize. You are important people and your pictures and videos are important to the group. So just keep doing what you do, and I will just get more housework done...:) :D:tort:

Never ever be sorry for speaking your mind we are all adults and should be able to accept some one else’s opinion .I liked my little Godzilla video but if it is an inconvenience to people I have no problem taking it down .

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
B K said:
maggie3fan said:

Never ever be sorry for speaking your mind we are all adults and should be able to accept some one else’s opinion .I liked my little Godzilla video but if it is an inconvenience to people I have no problem taking it down .

B K , It was great!

B K

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
B K said:
maggie3fan said:

B K , It was great!

Nothing compares to your pictures!

B K

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
B K said:
maggie3fan said:

B K , It was great!

Nothing compares to your pictures Greg can't wait to get down there and see them for real.

Status
Not open for further replies.