Fort Morgan Loggerhead Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
While on vacation the last week of July at Fort Morgan, AL, we happened to come across a known turtle nest right near our beach house. To our surprise, it was the week they were expected to hatch! Each night there were volunteers to monitor the nest and help any hatchlings to the water. There were 102 loggerhead sea turtle eggs in the nest. One night close to 30 hatchlings made their way to the Gulf right before a storm; another night about 8. A few days afterwards, the nests are dug up to see if any live turtles are buried, the number of hatched/unhatched eggs are recorded along with any babies that didn't make it. We were there for the entire event (something that many locals never get to see)! Here are photos from the day when the nest was dug. Enjoy!

DSC04043.jpg

DSC04050.jpg

DSC04059.jpg

DSC04064.jpg

DSC04081.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

DSC04110.jpg

DSC04116.jpg

DSC04118.jpg

DSC04123.jpg

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
That's amazing. Those sea turtle babies are the gosh-darn cutest things. It's sad how hard it is for them to survive at sea. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I love the turtle tracks.....great visual reminder of their quest to get to the ocean....love it and thank you for sharing :D

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
wow that is cool never seen anything like that before :D thanks for sharing :D

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Thank you so much for posting those pics and your experience. That would be a dream come true for me to see something like that. I love the pics of the babies on their way to the big blue. Simply awe-inspiring.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
You're all very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. Here's a BUMP for the new folks on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.