Forstenii won't eat

carsmcqueen

5 Year Member
Haii All,

I am Aditya from Indonesia. I've one Torto Forstenii (size 10cm and seller tell me is from WC) and i've keep +/-2 month. Until now he's eat very bad (maybe only 4-7 times just a little). I've made him a torto table 100x50cm and i keep outside with temperatur 26-30 celcius and humidity 75-90%. I've give him a tommato, papaya, cucumber, mazuri pellets, boiled pumpkin and he's still won't eat.
I really need advice from here, and maybe someone in here ever had experience like me.

Thanks...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Do you have water available 24/7 and do you ever give him warm water soaks? Also, more greens then fruit needs to be added to his diet, others will have more suggestions.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
WC forstenii are very prone to heavy burdens of protozoa and amoeba. This is a direct result of overcrowding, cross contamination with other reptiles, poor diet and hygiene ect. Without proper diagnosis and a treatment plan your tortoise will most likely die.

Chances are if this animal has not been feeding et al for a few months now, it likely will not survive period.

Your temperatures, humidity, diet all sound very appropriate for I.forstenii.

carsmcqueen

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Do you have water available 24/7 and do you ever give him warm water soaks? Also, more greens then fruit needs to be added to his diet, others will have more suggestions.

Yess, i've always provide water in cage. And sometimes i soak him with warm water. Last night he's want eat watermelon and i'm very happy. Oke i'll try with more than variation food. Thanks for your advice.

carsmcqueen

5 Year Member
Benjamin said:
WC forstenii are very prone to heavy burdens of protozoa and amoeba. This is a direct result of overcrowding, cross contamination with other reptiles, poor diet and hygiene ect. Without proper diagnosis and a treatment plan your tortoise will most likely die.

Chances are if this animal has not been feeding et al for a few months now, it likely will not survive period.

Oke thanks friend for your advice. But what should i do for make him still alive?Whether i should take him to a doctor? Last night he want eat watermelon and i very happy.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
carsmcqueen said:
Benjamin said:

Oke thanks friend for your advice. But what should i do for make him still alive?Whether i should take him to a doctor? Last night he want eat watermelon and i very happy.
Yes get the tortoise to an animal doctor. You want to have a fecal exam done and a cloacal swab to look for any thing problematic.

It is a good sign that it is feeding on the watermelon. Have you tried any live worms? They sometimes will take an interest to fish or shrimp.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
They are going to be attracted to dead Mice or Rats than anything else. Most wild caught animals are not necessarily going to feed on greens or fruit initially, but Rodents or Chicks will get them going. I have never had a Forstens touch a mushroom though. Tried with many animals over the past few years...

kyubi

Hi aditya, i m from indonesia, live in jakarta, i ve a pair of forstens that i ve kept for 3 years now n last month female lay 4 eggs. In first month after i adopted them, i ve same problems like yours, they stop eating. So i went to vet and by watching their feses using microscope we know that too many micro org, like protozoa, amoeba in it. So the vet give medicine n now their healthy

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Hi aditya, i m from indonesia, live in jakarta, i ve a pair of forstens that i ve kept for 3 years now n last month female lay 4 eggs. In first month after i adopted them, i ve same problems like yours, they stop eating. So i went to vet and by watching their feses using microscope we know that too many micro org, like protozoa, amoeba in it. So the vet give medicine n now their healthy

Please elaborate on your female laying four eggs. I suspect she laid them in two clutches. I have heard of clutches containing more than two eggs but these could never be confirmed.

In twelve years I have never had a clutch contain more than two eggs. The clutches were produced by 12 different females over the course of time.

kyubi

No Ben, this is really happened, she lay four eggs in one clutch, i dont count it when she laid it though, i count it after she burried the egg, and it was her first time, in digging a hole, n lay eggs, as far as i know. It took about 3 hour, from 5 - 8 pm, to dig hole n burried the egg. I was surprized too n really excited. But if forstens have habbits in laying eggs in the same spot, maybe your prediction was right