For those who have shipped

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
I am going to be selling my cbb baby pancake tortoises and I would really like to know what you guys did when you got ready to ship your tortoises. Did you use a website like ship your reptiles. Did you do it yourself. How many cool or heat packs do you recommend for temperature ranges. Things like that, I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I have shipped coral before and I know there are a lot of similarities between them.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
You can get all the shipping stuff from TSKSupply.com They have shipping kits that come with nice insulated boxes and heat packs if needed, etc. Try to ship everything with UPS Next Day Air, but you can use FedEx Priority Overnight also.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Okay I have also been recommended Reptiles2you as another company to use. I will be posting the baby tortoises for sale next week as well.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Reptiles Express is a good company as well. Best to use smallest box that container fits properly. Need to use an insulated box with holes in all 4 sides for ventilation. I typically fill any excess space with packing peanuts and put the heat pack (reptile kind) underneath the container. Make sure you activate the heat pack a couple of hours before putting it in the box. Shake it up and put it in your pocket until it feels pretty warm. Tape up all sides and secure the shipping label on the top. Make sure the container has holes as well. Tape the lid on so it can not open accidentally. My recommendation is FEDEX. Drop off as late as possible for priority overnight delivery. We typically no longer allow home delivery due to potential heat issues on the FEDEX truck. WE have the package held for pickup at the closest FEDEX location to the destination address.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Bag or deli cup, and if the deli cup is preferred do you put something in there to cushion the tortoises from being bumped around and hurt.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Reptiles Express is a good company as well. Best to use smallest box that container fits properly. Need to use an insulated box with holes in all 4 sides for ventilation. I typically fill any excess space with packing peanuts and put the heat pack (reptile kind) underneath the container. Make sure you activate the heat pack a couple of hours before putting it in the box. Shake it up and put it in your pocket until it feels pretty warm. Tape up all sides and secure the shipping label on the top. Make sure the container has holes as well. Tape the lid on so it can not open accidentally. My recommendation is FEDEX. Drop off as late as possible for priority overnight delivery. We typically no longer allow home delivery due to potential heat issues on the FEDEX truck. WE have the package held for pickup at the closest FEDEX location to the destination address.

This is a key to much success here "Drop off as late as possible for priority overnight delivery. We typically no longer allow home delivery due to potential heat issues on the FEDEX truck. WE have the package held for pickup at the closest FEDEX location to the destination address."

This simple thing eliminates several hands and tumbling(s) as well as a truck ride. Often you can pick them up even earlier and when you open the box at the location there will be FedEx people who can verify any issue you may have. So far I've never had one, but it really helps with "shipping anxiety" on both ends of the transit.

M

Maggie Cummings

I recently shipped 2 tortoises and I did just that, drop off as late as possible, then the receiver went to the airport and took the torts right off the plane, no truck ride. FedEx o'nite

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
Robyn@ShipYourReptiles here...

If you have successfully shipped live corals, you shouldn't have much of an issue with tortoises : )

Use coupon code APS40 for 40% OFF your first shipment.

We offer shipping kits at ShipYourReptiles.com. You don't have to use our supplies (which TSK drop ships for us), but if you use your own supplies, they do have to meet our SYR Shipping Standards, which in turn meet the FedEx standards and requirements. Nothing odd or crazy, industry standard stuff, including at least 3/4" insulation.

This time of year is great for shipping, temps are generally pretty mild. We offer guidelines for temperature and heat pack use in the SYR FAQ- https://shipyourreptiles.com/en/get-help/get-help-shipping-standards#question-15

Tortoises are super durable animals for shipping. Doing your first live shipment might seem daunting, but it is pretty straight froward. We have a customer service staff available Monday through Friday 7am to 6pm MST, they are happy to answer any questions, or to walk you through your first shipment.

Some of the quick suggestions here are common, and valuable. We always encourage as late a day drop off as possible, so you are in control of your package as long as possible. Shipping to a FedEx facility Hold for Pickup is also a very common technique. It is easy to do, we have an FAQ on that as well- https://shipyourreptiles.com/en/get-help/get-help-shipping-tracking#question-127

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am going to be selling my cbb baby pancake tortoises and I would really like to know what you guys did when you got ready to ship your tortoises. Did you use a website like ship your reptiles. Did you do it yourself. How many cool or heat packs do you recommend for temperature ranges. Things like that, I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I have shipped coral before and I know there are a lot of similarities between them.
I use shipyourreptiles.com. It is well worth the simplicity. They follow the same methods as above with late drop off and destination hold for pick up. They are extremely helpful if you call and will walk you through the whole process. All the labels " live tortoise" labels for box, shipping labels, etc are all provided Their pricing is as good as I can get myself with my fed ex acct with out the hassle. With the 40% off offered above it is no contest!!!

Andy27012

5 Year Member
Ship your reptiles + fed ex is impossible to beat. Received and sent 1000s of dollars in animals this way. Never an issue, everyone alwayshappy on both ends.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I have always used ShipYourReptiles and have been very happy with their service. They are super nice and if you have a question that you cannot find the answer to on their website you can call them and they are more than happy to help you. There is a video on their website regarding shipping. They also sell shipping boxes and kits.