1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Tom, Aug 7, 2013.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Dizisdalife

Dizisdalife Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    San Diego, CA
    I have used both the Premium Horse Pasture Mix and the Dairy Pasture Mix and would recommend the Premium Horse Pasture Mix. The Dairy Pasture mix was mostly clover and medics. Good as part of a diet, but not much grass. The Premium Horse Pasture Mix has lots of grass and grows really fast and thick. It seems to do well in full sun and in shady areas. I grow it outside.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California

This one:
    PVFS Premium Horse Pasture Mix (Irrigated) - Nitrocoated Seed (lb)

Once it gets going, I can fill a five gallon bucket with grass every two weeks in summer out of a 4x8' plot. It just keeps coming back over and over again.
  3. Saleama

Saleama Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Irving Texas
    Actually, many of the weeds you mentioned in the opening post are sold as seeds on ebay. I bought most of that list last month.
  4. Annaliisas

Annaliisas Member 5 Year Member

I just planted grass in my enclosure. It was too hot this summer to get it started, but it has an automatic sprinkler. Wally is getting into it, but he like the hibiscus leaves and the rose of Sharon bushes best. And the plants make great shade, hiding spots, and they are pretty to boot. I buy 5 gallon hibiscus plant at my whole sale nursery for $6. I probably had to replant new ones 2 times this summer. His enclosure is what I see from my kitchen window, so I get all different color flowers to make me happy and I give them to him before the wilt.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382116920.333004.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  5. Coconut

Coconut New Member

I love this! I already have some of these plants and started growing a lot of the plants in this list and a lot of these weeds grow around my house! I also found this site called http://www.africantortoise.com very helpful. I have most of these greens available all year so I don't, hopefully never, have to buy greens at the store. I agree that it's healthier for the torts and healthier for your sanity to do some gardening. Thanks for the info :)

6. stonecali

stonecali New Member

South Orange County, California
  7. Tom

Southern California
    It seems he changed his website around a bit. Yes, there are other products that are the same thing. It is just blended grass hay. Here is something similar on his site:
    http://www.tortoisesupply.com/BotanicalHay
  8. DeanS

DeanS SULCATA OASIS 5 Year Member

SoCal
    Is this the source for the alfalfa you grow?
  9. Tom

Southern California
    I buy it from that site, but that is not the link to that specific product. The alfalfa is the "non-dormant" type.
  10. koopa82

koopa82 New Member 5 Year Member

Thanks for sharing Tom! My sully's diet consist of more leaves then grass- there are a lot of hibiscus trees and other leafy plants around my area. I bring him out to graze on grass only about once a week. Is this ok or should I be feeding him more grass? He's approaching a year old now.
  11. DeanS

SoCal
    The diet should be (at least) 90% grass/weeds. Flowers and leaves make a nice supplement...once or twice a week. But, never a substitute for grass.
    koopa82 likes this.
  12. Tom

Southern California
    To my knowledge there is no body of scientific that clearly defines exactly what a sulcata tortoise should and shouldn't eat. We have all sorts of accepted "truths" from a variety of sources and for a wide variety of reasons, but I don't honestly know "the truth". Lots of people and websites list percentages for various items, but where does that come from? And why does no harm appear to happen when those percentages are widely deviated from? I promote what I believe to be the best thing for them based on my years of experience, observation and study.

I can share what I have seen out in the world, and that is that sulcatas are very adaptable and can thrive on all sorts of diet and feeding routines. I've seen every technique you can imagine from nothing but grocery store lettuces and greens to nothing but grass, and everything in between. It seems to me that they can thrive and be healthy on just about any reasonable feeding regime. How many people all over this country feed nothing but grocery store greens. As long as calcium and vitamin needs, hydration, exercise and uv needs are all met their tortoise grow up and look, behave and reproduce just fine. Some people let them eat dog poop. I know one guy who feeds lots of whole bananas. I saw a guy in FL whose gorgeous young adults ate cat kibble everyday along with weeds and grass. All of the above examples appear just as healthy as mine. From the little I have seen on wild sulcatas, they appear to be opportunists. They eat mammal feces, carrion, windfall fruit, as well as all the leaves, weeds, grass and succulents they can find. We hear that they "need" a "high-fiber" diet, but the ones eating grocery store lettuce for their first few years appear to do just fine.

I have my opinions about what I think is best, but truth be told, they appear to do just fine on almost any reasonable diet. I feed my sulcatas almost everything on this list. So far so good for me...
    Adzlan, Kaliman1962, Jrperry and 3 others like this.
  13. sam biggs

sam biggs New Member

hi, im new to the forum and im looking into buying a sulcata. i would like to know if anyone can suggest a tortoise supply shop in the uk where i could purchase seed mixes from. i want to have this all set up and growing before i get one. also would i be able to let a young sulcata in the same outside enclosure as my two 7 year old hermanns ?! thanks for any help or suggestions ....... sam
  14. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Kent, South East England
    The Shelled Warriors shop http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/seeds---grow-your-own-food-1g---1kg-49-c.asp

We never recommend mixing species as they carry different pathogens and what one carries harmlessly could kill another.

In any case, they must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months to make sure that neither makes the other sick. A mature sulcata is big and the bullying implications are awful. Your proposed sulcata will eat you out of house snd home and test your perimeter fencing to the max. It must be kept separtely from your Hermanns.
  15. koopa82

koopa82 New Member 5 Year Member

I see, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks Tom!
  16. Tort-Rex

Tort-Rex Active Member

Could a baby sulcata thrive on just grazing in the Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix?
  17. DeanS

SoCal
    A baby sulcata could thrive on your yard and nothing else...if you'd like!
  18. Tort-Rex

Tort-Rex Active Member

Thanks for the info! I've been hoping to get a baby sulcata and have been doing as much research as possible!
  19. Yourlocalpoet

Yourlocalpoet Active Member 5 Year Member

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Interesting. The main part of my leopard's diet is grass. In the summer it's pretty much all she eats as she's outside. Obviously, dandelions and clover take over the lawn at this time but she's a serious grass eater.
  20. Youngbuckfl

Youngbuckfl New Member

Fort Myers, Florida
    What about orange tree leaves can they eat them?