For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...

AudgePaudge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I got one that says cat grass but then says wheat grass under it. They have it at pet Co. make sure you dont get the catnip though!

Katashia

North TX
Wow. Thank you so much for this thread! My baby Sulcata, Morla, was eating store bought collard greens and kale because some other sites said to do it, now she's got Bermuda grass but she's not really eating it at all. She's still tiny, about 3in in length. I'd like to try clovers because in the spring they grow around here in abundance so it'd be great if she loved it! What would you suggest be the best grasses/weeds/flowers to feed such a tiny tort? Also, you said they could munch on all sorts of grass, does that include St Augustine? We have that in our yard but haven't seen it on any approved list for Sulcata tortoises. Any suggestions?
IMG_20170112_225331.jpg

byronReeves

Saint George, Utah
Tom, I am new to this forum but I see that you are well informed on the dieting of tortoises and this is an awesome feed but i have a couple questions. we have two sulcata tortoises and in other forums we have read we found that people said fruit occasionally as a treat. In your opinion is that true? what about veggies? ours love squash, cucumbers and bananas. thanks any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I am new to this forum but I see that you are well informed on the dieting of tortoises and this is an awesome feed but i have a couple questions. we have two sulcata tortoises and in other forums we have read we found that people said fruit occasionally as a treat. In your opinion is that true? what about veggies? ours love squash, cucumbers and bananas. thanks any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

These are all opinions are there is not a lot of scientific research done on the long term effects of different diets in sulcata tortoises.

I do not recommend fruit. It is too high in sugar and it can mess with the intestinal flora and fauna. Yet, I know people that feed some fruit to their sulcatas and their tortoise look fine on the outside. I wouldn't do it, but its not like it is instantly fatal in all cases. Still, I think fruit is best avoided.

Squash or cucumber once in a while mixed in with other foods are usually fine. Squash leaves are really good for them, and the blooms too.

And I hope your tortoises are housed separately. They don't do well in pairs.

byronReeves

Saint George, Utah
"And I hope your tortoises are housed separately. They don't do well in pairs."

Why is that? I have noticed several people have all said this same thing. We had little bit of problems when they were in a smaller home but we built a larger terrarium for the two of them and they don't seem to bother one another. And now hey we moved into a larger place I plan to build a even bigger one for them so they have a larger area to do tortoise things that they do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Why is that? I have noticed several people have all said this same thing. We had little bit of problems when they were in a smaller home but we built a larger terrarium for the two of them and they don't seem to bother one another. And now hey we moved into a larger place I plan to build a even bigger one for them so they have a larger area to do tortoise things that they do.

They are solitary animals. They don't want to share their territory or resources. Whenever two animals are put together, one is dominant and the other submissive. The dominant one wants the other to leave. The weaker minded one wants to leave, but can't. Even if there is no overt attacking or hostility, this situation still exists and it is stressful on both of them. There is no "live and let live" in the tortoise world. There is only: "Get out of my territory or I'll kill you."

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Tom, I am new to this forum but I see that you are well informed on the dieting of tortoises and this is an awesome feed but i have a couple questions. we have two sulcata tortoises and in other forums we have read we found that people said fruit occasionally as a treat. In your opinion is that true?

Tom is more than well informed on tortoise food, housing, and care needs. I've seen him go over and above the education of new owners in regard to the care of tortoises he personally keeps. He does this for the, "dare I say" love of tortoises?
He is a fantastic resource that we all are lucky to share his knowledge. As a matter of fact, the sulcata and leopard tortoise care guides that are permanent in the specie sections for these tortoises were even written by him. Also the outdoor/indoor enclosures and heated boxes are his. If you have yet to read these posts, I suggest you do so straight away and ask questions based on anything that you are confused by. The WideWorldofTheInternetMachine is full of old, outdated, even dangerous information that we not only are lucky to have this forum, but specifically Tom to provide us proper information with. I'm stopping now so his head doesn't get any bigger, (Tom's head that is) ; )

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Over and over I type up and answer diet questions and try to get people feeding the right stuff, but I find that the "norm" is grocery store food. Grocery store food is expensive, a hassle to obtain, and very low on the list of what is best for sulcatas.

These tortoises are GRASS eaters. From the moment they hatch, until the day they die, grass should be a large part of their diet. Spring mix, romaine, kale and other greens are okay as a small part of a varied diet, but should not be the bulk of the diet. If someone must feed grocery store foods, the pile should be sprinkled with grass clippings or "Salad Style". For those who like the convenience of pre-packaged, easy to handle stuff, "Salad Style" is basically finely blended up grass hay that can be sprinkled over any other food to add bulk and fiber. I got my "Salad Style" from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com.

For those that have a lawn, or access to one: Get a tub, get some scissors, get down on your knees, and go to work! It is so EASY to cut a few handfuls of fresh, green, tender, young grass, and dramatically improve your baby sulcatas diet. Any kind of grass will work. Finely chop it for little tortoises and sprinkle it all over the other food, or feed it by itself in a pile. Do be careful about lawn chemicals and pesticides. If you have a gardener, or its not your lawn, use extreme caution. Live in a condo or apartment complex? Don't do it. Not worth the risk, no matter what they tell you. Just grow your own grass in pots on your patio or window sills. Friends, family and neighbors might be able to help you out here.

For those who still just love the grocery store: Most stores are now selling little plastic pots of live, freshly sprouted, organic wheat grass. You can find it at many pet stores too. This is a great way to add grass to the diet of a young sulcata. Get your scissors, hold the pot over the food pile and chop away. Water it and keep the pot in a window sill, and in a few days, you'll have more. You might need several pots as your baby grows, or you can buy seed from one of our site sponsors (Thank you Carolina Pet Supply) and sprout even bigger trays of it yourself.

Some of you may find that your "grass eating" tortoise wants nothing to do with eating grass. This should surprise no one, since most breeders and most keepers never even attempt to feed actual grass to their grass eating tortoise babies. So sad! I can tell you from first hand experience with literally HUNDREDS of babies, they WILL eat it. It may take a month or more to slowly introduce it, but PLEASE, slowly introduce it.

Other items that are good for babies and young sulcatas:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

When sulcatas get a little older and bigger, usually around 10-12" for me, they will start munching on plain, dry grass hay, all on their own. I like orchard grass hay the best for this, but I also used bermuda grass hay for years too. When they hit this stage, life gets MUCH easier. Just make sure you have drinking water readily available when they start eating hay, and consider soaking regularly if you are not 100% sure your tortoise is drinking enough, or if you live in a really dry area, like me.

I live in a desert and yet there is still green stuff all around me. I beg you to take a walk and learn about all the green stuff around you, INSTEAD of driving to the store again. Instead of a trip to the grocery store, take a trip to a local nursery for some weed IDs, and tips on growing your own stuff. What could be better than stepping out into your backyard and collecting all the free, healthy tortoise food you can carry? Think of the gas savings! Anyone who is a tortoise keeper, ought to be somewhat of a gardener too.

I beg of you... PLEASE stop the grocery store MADNESS!!! :D
what about feeding a baby sulcata about 2 inches in length wheat grass from health food store

PaganKoala

Over and over I type up and answer diet questions and try to get people feeding the right stuff, but I find that the "norm" is grocery store food. Grocery store food is expensive, a hassle to obtain, and very low on the list of what is best for sulcatas.

These tortoises are GRASS eaters. From the moment they hatch, until the day they die, grass should be a large part of their diet. Spring mix, romaine, kale and other greens are okay as a small part of a varied diet, but should not be the bulk of the diet. If someone must feed grocery store foods, the pile should be sprinkled with grass clippings or "Salad Style". For those who like the convenience of pre-packaged, easy to handle stuff, "Salad Style" is basically finely blended up grass hay that can be sprinkled over any other food to add bulk and fiber. I got my "Salad Style" from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com.

For those that have a lawn, or access to one: Get a tub, get some scissors, get down on your knees, and go to work! It is so EASY to cut a few handfuls of fresh, green, tender, young grass, and dramatically improve your baby sulcatas diet. Any kind of grass will work. Finely chop it for little tortoises and sprinkle it all over the other food, or feed it by itself in a pile. Do be careful about lawn chemicals and pesticides. If you have a gardener, or its not your lawn, use extreme caution. Live in a condo or apartment complex? Don't do it. Not worth the risk, no matter what they tell you. Just grow your own grass in pots on your patio or window sills. Friends, family and neighbors might be able to help you out here.

For those who still just love the grocery store: Most stores are now selling little plastic pots of live, freshly sprouted, organic wheat grass. You can find it at many pet stores too. This is a great way to add grass to the diet of a young sulcata. Get your scissors, hold the pot over the food pile and chop away. Water it and keep the pot in a window sill, and in a few days, you'll have more. You might need several pots as your baby grows, or you can buy seed from one of our site sponsors (Thank you Carolina Pet Supply) and sprout even bigger trays of it yourself.

Some of you may find that your "grass eating" tortoise wants nothing to do with eating grass. This should surprise no one, since most breeders and most keepers never even attempt to feed actual grass to their grass eating tortoise babies. So sad! I can tell you from first hand experience with literally HUNDREDS of babies, they WILL eat it. It may take a month or more to slowly introduce it, but PLEASE, slowly introduce it.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...

Weeds:
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow

When sulcatas get a little older and bigger, usually around 10-12" for me, they will start munching on plain, dry grass hay, all on their own. I like orchard grass hay the best for this, but I also used bermuda grass hay for years too. When they hit this stage, life gets MUCH easier. Just make sure you have drinking water readily available when they start eating hay, and consider soaking regularly if you are not 100% sure your tortoise is drinking enough, or if you live in a really dry area, like me.

I live in a desert and yet there is still green stuff all around me. I beg you to take a walk and learn about all the green stuff around you, INSTEAD of driving to the store again. Instead of a trip to the grocery store, take a trip to a local nursery for some weed IDs, and tips on growing your own stuff. What could be better than stepping out into your backyard and collecting all the free, healthy tortoise food you can carry? Think of the gas savings! Anyone who is a tortoise keeper, ought to be somewhat of a gardener too.

Great thread buddy and very helpful

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle

Weeds:
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow

Competing with the Sun
Hailing from equatorial Africa, spur tortoises require very warm and dry conditions. In captivity, you must ensure that your tortoise has access to appropriate basking temperatures. Spur tortoises require basking areas with surface temperatures of approximately 100 degrees -- if this is not possible via sunshine alone, you must include basking lights in their outdoor enclosures. Additionally, African spur tortoises produce vitamin D3 when exposed to sunlight, which is necessary for calcium absorption. Tortoises reared indoors must have access to full spectrum lighting -- including the UVB portion of the spectrum -- at their basking spot. Do not mist your tortoise’s cage and keep the enclosure dry; while he will obtain most of his water needs from his food, provide a shallow pan of clean water at all times.

so which do I go with on here you say humid is best I'm confused

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Competing with the Sun
Hailing from equatorial Africa, spur tortoises require very warm and dry conditions. In captivity, you must ensure that your tortoise has access to appropriate basking temperatures. Spur tortoises require basking areas with surface temperatures of approximately 100 degrees -- if this is not possible via sunshine alone, you must include basking lights in their outdoor enclosures. Additionally, African spur tortoises produce vitamin D3 when exposed to sunlight, which is necessary for calcium absorption. Tortoises reared indoors must have access to full spectrum lighting -- including the UVB portion of the spectrum -- at their basking spot. Do not mist your tortoise’s cage and keep the enclosure dry; while he will obtain most of his water needs from his food, provide a shallow pan of clean water at all times.

so which do I go with on here you say humid is best I'm confused

The above quote is a classic example of the old, often repeated, WRONG info. It was based on incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild. Baby sulcatas hatch at the start of the monsoon season over in Africa. Think South Florida or New Orleans in summer. Hot. Rainy. Humid. Those are the conditions they thrive in. During the dry season over there, they are in their warm humid underground burrows. They do not live on the hot dry surface during the dry season. They would cook as its frequently 100+ degrees F. Further the "dry" season over there, is not the same kind of "dry" we get here in some parts of the US in summer.

If you raise them according to the above quoted advice, a large percentage of hatchlings will die, and the ones that survive will be pyramided and stunted. Ask me how I know that...

Bass.Isles

This is an awesome, informative guide. Thank you for taking the time to post. I read on here that they love hibiscus leaves, which I have found true. However, both my Sulcata and Gopher LOVE the fresh bloomed hibiscus flowers. Are they okay to feed as well? I mean my gopher has been eating them for 10+ years and he's still kicking, so I assume it's okay for him, but I just wanted to double check that it was healthy for my little, newly acquired 2-year-old sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is an awesome, informative guide. Thank you for taking the time to post. I read on here that they love hibiscus leaves, which I have found true. However, both my Sulcata and Gopher LOVE the fresh bloomed hibiscus flowers. Are they okay to feed as well? I mean my gopher has been eating them for 10+ years and he's still kicking, so I assume it's okay for him, but I just wanted to double check that it was healthy for my little, newly acquired 2-year-old sulcata.
Yes. The flowers are good too. Just make sure that the flowers are no more than 10-15% of the diet on any given day. Grass, weeds and leaves should make up the bulk of the diet.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Actually, this is completely applicable to South African leopards. My 12 inchers are already readily munching on orchard grass hay, and thank goodness, because they are total pigs and eat a ton every day...

For regular leopards, or testudo, just skip the grass part, but the rest of the list is all good. I feed CDTs a fair amount of grass too, but not like a sulcata.
this is my new enclosure not sure what to do to improve it want to put a lid on to hold in heat and humidity any suggestios i made a plexiglass lid but afraid of puting all that heat on the plexiglas any suggestions

Attachments

• 20170416_112436.jpg
    20170416_112436.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39