Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Viewer's discretion is advised

I always wanted to say that :D

I'm open to suggestions (PM me your suggestion)

My disclosure:

The following post was due to a demand for a "No holds barred" Topic as a sub section to the debate area of the TFO forum. Yvonne suggested that I post it here. I personally don't debate and don't see myself creating debate topics, but to somewhat satisfy both sides of the coin, I thought I'd throw this out there.

The general idea is that we have a section closed off on the Tortoiseforum.org website that is strictly for adults to settle their differences in opinion and/or facts

AFTER you've

-been a member for more then 1-2 months
-have posted more then 100 posts
-(input needed)
-(input needed)

Rules that still apply

-The warning button is still available to any of the posters in the thread

-Threats of physical harm towards ANY member in TFO whether in this section or not will NOT be tolerated

-Once moved to the "NHB" zone, the topic MUST stay in the NHB zone and cannot be discussed elsewhere in TFO

-You may not bash anyone on TFO that is NOT involved in the actual debate. And by Bash I mean belittle or name call that person.

-Stay on the tortoise topic related debate.

-Do not get personal

Rules of Engagement

-You may ask the person you are wanting to debate with once via P.M. and a second time in the open thread.

After that, if the person still declines you can continue via P.M. only (be advised the report button is still available to both sides)

-If you decline to go to the NHB zone you must not continue to debate on the same subject in that open thread (both sides) no matter who it is directed to.

-(input here)

-(input here)

So again these are all what I suggest as "Rules" and it's obviously open to suggestions unless Josh declines the entire section.​

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't understand why the debates have to be so heated that we would need another debate section. I rarely have much to contribuate on the debate section, but I love reading and learning from different opinions on there.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
I am sorry Fernando, I don't think it's needed. Maybe my opinion is worth nothing since I haven't reached 100 posts yet. Why does it have to be 100 posts?

I get the feeling that all the stars, reputation, number of posts etc means that you're better than people without and I don't think that it makes this forum a very welcoming and friendly place to be at all.

Is this just another debating section you would be creating or is it a member vs member section?

Because if it was just a different debating section and if it was something I felt strongly about I would always want to say something however I wouldn't want to be talked to rudely by anyone.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The idea Sophie is that people that join for 1 day, that want to cause a stir in the forum, cuss someone out or start a heated argument causes a huge mess. They sign up and then leave...

The idea also behind the 100 posts should be a benefit to our forum IMO. It makes you want to be part of this Forum even more. You want to get involved more and in the process you'll be learning about members and make new friends. It does not make you better then one else.

As far as stars (the more you post the more that goes up) the Rep points is an entire different discussion and I think there is a thread on that.

There is also a thread to debate this very section in question. It's in the link in my reply to Terryo

TerryO brought this to my attention

It's not that you have to be invited to the specific NHB topic, it's that you just have to be invited to the OPTION to read any of those topics at all. So maybe that's what was confusing some.

For example. I just joined TFO. I see "No holds Barred" section. I want in! I then get declined and given the forum rules "100+ posts and such"

Then I'm like "Wow I really want to see what's in there. I'm going to stick around till I reach 100 posts or whatever...."

I think of it as a very very very small incentive to stick around. Sadly I see newbies post their question, get their answer then never post again or just lurk around. I'd like to see more involvement.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Because if it was just a different debating section and if it was something I felt strongly about I would always want to say something however I wouldn't want to be talked to rudely by anyone.

Absolutely!! That is another thing to consider. Something like this happened to me on another forum. I was advocating a very humid glass vivarium when I first got Pio, and although I felt very strongly about it, when I posted, I was VERY rudely told that this was the wrong way to go about raising a tortoise no matter what kind it was. That was the last time I gave any advice on that forum. One of the reasons I usually only give advice with a PM on any forum.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
I am aware of the other thread.

Its all very well you talking about the people who sign up for one day... but what about the people who don't. It isn't fair.

'It makes you want to be part of this Forum even more. You want to get involved more and in the process you'll be learning about members and make new friends. It does not make you better then one else.'

I already am a member... I signed up.... I'm not sure how I could be more of a member.

Hmmm this is the tortoise forums way of pressurizing people to be spend all day on here, answer every thread... this way they get special privileges!?!?!?! Members with special privileges = more valued members?

My opinion yes there are people with more experience with others yet this does not mean they are valued more than others. Every member should be valued exactly the same.

Meeting new friends over a laptop? I know I may sound like a miserable git here but seriously? I come here to read and learn about tortoise keeping and tortoises and yes perhaps friendly chat with other members lol but how is anyone on here a real life friend.

Fernando what is the problem with someone asking a question then going, or lurking around? There is nothing wrong with somebody not posting all the time!! It doesnt make them inferior does it!!!!!

I am totally against this idea, it is a section for the superior members.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Wow Sophie...take a breath....relax...

This is OPTIONAL, so there is not pressure AT ALL. You are already at 72 posts Sophie, I'm sure it wasn't THAT hard.

Is your suggestion 10? 20? 30? You want it easier? I posted this to satisfy both sides of the spectrum. If you read the other post you'll notice there are a few members that want it.

I'd hate to get you riled up and upset because of a suggestion I made. PM me if you have anymore questions.

In regards to friends...I made 5 here. I talk to them on a daily basis. In person and over the phone. So yes TFO people can become your friends.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Watermelon said:
My opinion yes there are people with more experience with others yet this does not mean they are valued more than others. Every member should be valued exactly the same.

This is a great post and part of the TFO problem. Watermellon, not all TFO members are treated equally. If we could fix this problem, there might not be any need for a NHB section at all.

There is always going to be heated debate on open forums, its unavoidable. But the problem is magnified when the mods start to take sides. Im not saying only with words, I am also talking about the moderator tool. When they remove one posters comments in a debate while leaving the others, this becomes an issue. When it happends all the time, it stirs the pot. Read recent posts that pertain to this. Some of the mods are just as guilty as the regulars.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
As I've expressed to Paul privately - if any of you feel a moderator is not being fair and equitable, please let me know.

The no holds barred section will not be considered at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.