Foot abscess or sore?

Noodlem

Location (City and/or State)
New jersey
Hello everyone, need some advice. Notice this smooth round bump on my tortoise’s hind foot last week. Hasn’t gotten worst. No change in his behavior or appetite. Just not sure is it an abscess or a sore from him rubbing on something? Those lines are just bedding medium and not part of the lesion. Any idea on how to treat? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
1623850237881.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is he on cement? Looks like he's been trying to dig on a hard surface. You can treat it like you would treat your own skinned knee. But try to figure out why it got that way in the first place.

Noodlem

New jersey
Is he on cement? Looks like he's been trying to dig on a hard surface. You can treat it like you would treat your own skinned knee. But try to figure out why it got that way in the first place.
His enclosure is a exo terra with reprobate and random pieces of slate. Never seen him try to dig into anything. He is a Indian star tortoise fyi

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Looks painful. Keep an eye on it to see if it grows, Otherwise I would put ointment on it neosporin or another antiseptic for skin as you would.

Noodlem

New jersey
the slates are not too hot on his feet are they?
The slate isn’t burning hot to touch. They been in this enclosure for at least two years with no issues. The only thing that I noticed recently is that the heating pad against a side glass fell over a couple of times and he slept on it a few times. So a burn from that is possible

Noodlem

New jersey
The spot feels meaty, just missing the over lying scales. He doesn’t seem to react to me touching it

TaylorTortoise

Abington
The slate isn’t burning hot to touch. They been in this enclosure for at least two years with no issues. The only thing that I noticed recently is that the heating pad against a side glass fell over a couple of times and he slept on it a few times. So a burn from that is possible
When you say fell over fell over where? We don't really recommend heating pads. There is probably post on here why, but maybe you can look into that so you know since you are using them.

Noodlem

New jersey
When you say fell over fell over where? We don't really recommend heating pads. There is probably post on here why, but maybe you can look into that so you know since you are using them.
The pad is attached to the side wall of the hiding box. He likes to push things around so it got dislodge at some point

TaylorTortoise

Abington
It is not underneath. It is vertical against the side wall. But it did fall over recently due to them pushing it
Wonder if the heating pad burned your tort. That is my best guess. I would still keep an eye to see if it grows, or the texture of the spot changes. Put some neosporin on it for now a dab here and there twice a day,