Food Preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgekathe

5 Year Member
Do you feed your Redfioot Mazuri, & if so how oftern?

Though he does not get it every day, if it was GeeBee's decision I'm sure it would be his daily food to exclusion of all other food, he loves it so much! I obviously want to give him varied diet though he loves protein (given every week to 10 days) & various fruit (but am careful with that too lest he gets a messed uo stiomach & the runs - cleaning him out is not my favorite project for the day!)

Like to see what others do, I feed it to him every 3-4 days with greens other days (does not like dandelions for some reason).

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
RE: Food Prefernce

No I don't use Mazuri, I use the ZooMed Forest Tortoise Food mixed with a few pellets of ZooMed Natural Box Turtle food. They get this about 3x a week in the mornings. The rest of the time they are getting veggies, some fruit and greens...Plus they get nightcrawlers every Sunday.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

I give my guys an alternating diet of Mazuri, mixed greens, and 'salad bar mix' of veggies with seeds with smaller amounts of 'sweet fruits' and meats. Sometimes they get all three elements, sometimes just one.

Any time they seem to eat the Mazuri and ignore the other stuff, I leave the Mazuri out for a few days and they usually happily go back to the greens.

For that matter, right now they have a plate of Mazuri, and one of them has figured out how to snag the live plants in the planters and is chowing away at them.

As a philosophy, I think there is a value to using about 50% (or so) of a good quality prepared animal chow and 50% good, varied, balanced fresh diet. In theory, this should provide all nutrients, and each half should cover any weaknesses or deficiencies in the other half.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Mine gets mazuri once a week on saturday, it is mixed with greens, He goes insane for it, so I am sure if I fed it to him everyday, he would eat it.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan

I feed Mazuri 1-2 times a week. I don't mix anything else with it.
One day is a fruit day. The rest of the days they get the greens mix that the other tortoises (Sulcatas/Leopards/Stars) get. Now that the Redfoots spend time outside in a pen during warm weather, they munch a lot on grass.

Another thing I feed outside of the daily meals is King Mealworms. I pick out the softer white ones and throw a handful in. I have been doing it quite often lately - almost everyday.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Bayamon, Puerto Rico

DixieParadise said:
No I don't use Mazuri, I use the ZooMed Forest Tortoise Food mixed with a few pellets of ZooMed Natural Box Turtle food. They get this about 3x a week in the mornings. The rest of the time they are getting veggies, some fruit and greens...Plus they get nightcrawlers every Sunday.

how did you convinced your torts to eat ZooMed Forest Tortoise Food??? mine wont go near it not my RF and not even my Leos...

only thing my RF will eat is any kind of Fruit ( they really love mango ) and spring mix salad (Baby Lettuces, Baby Greens, Endive, Radicchio)

Status
Not open for further replies.