Food list for box turtles?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
When all else fails, try boiled egg white. Cut it into decent sized bites and then cut fruit and veggies into teeny tiny pieces and sprinkle on the egg whites. The smellier the better and by that, I do not mean rotten. Aromatics like strawberries work better than say, apples. Omlettes work well too. I make boiled chicken omlettes with veggies and serve it up on a red tub lid. I can't say for sure if the red lid makes a difference but my babies and juveniles eat their fruits and veggies now so I don't complain or change a thing.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
what brand of cod liver oil do you use? is it a capsule or the type you can buy in the bottles? @kimber_lee_314

You could do either. If you just have the one box turtle, I would just get the capsules, pop one with a pin and let a couple drops fall on the food. I have a lot of box turtles, so I buy a bottle and use an eye dropper for mine.

melaniexreanne

Indiana
ok cool, i just wanted to make sure the capsules would be ok, could i give them the whole capsule full or just a few drops of it? i have two, a 6 month(Sailor) old i think and a three year old(Stella). the baby loves to eat the three year old, is still shy. i hope itll get the older one to eat more. @kimber_lee_314 have you had luck with that working to get shy ones to eat?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
ok cool, i just wanted to make sure the capsules would be ok, could i give them the whole capsule full or just a few drops of it? i have two, a 6 month(Sailor) old i think and a three year old(Stella). the baby loves to eat the three year old, is still shy. i hope itll get the older one to eat more. @kimber_lee_314 have you had luck with that working to get shy ones to eat?

I would not give them the whole capsule - just a drop or two for each turtle. Many box turtles can be shy and don't like to be watched while they're eating. I would just put the food in for him and walk away (you can try watching from a distance.)

melaniexreanne

Indiana
Yea my baby doesn't care and she'll normally crawl up on my chest and go to sleep under my bra strap lol but the older one wants nothing to do with me, has anyone had any luck buying from big apple pet supply?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yay! Tickle finally ate something besides a warm today :) she ate a few bites of banana, one bite of a strawberry, two bites of a mushroom, and three or four bites of a sardine, and one small mealworm. She even ate the banana out of my hand and she was eating while I took a picture so I thought that was pretty good.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406002465.023587.jpg

captjack74

Lynbrook, New York
Hi,
I am having difficulty getting my 3 toed box turtle to eat. He did not go for earthworms (tried 4x). I tried romaine lettuce, he ate it once never again. I tried strawberries (3x) never ate. Blueberries (3x) did not eat. Canned box turtle food he did eat and boiled chicken but he only eats these every other day or maybe every 3 days.
He is 1-2 years old
Suggestions?
Do they go for something that smells?