Food dish question

ShannonLe

Location (City and/or State)
Colfax
Hello, I currently rescued a Russian Tortoise who is possibly 5-7 years old. Approximately 5" from end to end of shell. Her name is Clive (didn't know she was a female when we named her ;) ). We currently have her in a standard Tortoise house for now....wood is expensive at the moment. My question is her food dish. I read that it is good to get your tortoise to stretch their legs so they don't get splayed hips. I currently have a terracotta saucer (water catch for a terracotta pot). So she has to stretch herself over the edge to get her food. Is this good/ok or should she really be eating off of a slab?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sink the saucer so its level with the top of the substrate. Same with her water dish.
I'm guessing the info you got about the stretching wasn't from this forum?

ShannonLe

Colfax
Sink the saucer so its level with the top of the substrate. Same with her water dish.
I'm guessing the info you got about the stretching wasn't from this forum?
I did do that! It was not, I don't even remember where, I just remember hearing about tortoises and hip problems.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I did do that! It was not, I don't even remember where, I just remember hearing about tortoises and hip problems.
Maybe what your source was trying to explain is this: Tortoises that live on a hard slippery surface all the time often get splayed legs. That's just one of the many reasons torts should not live in the house on the floor. They need to be on substrate so their feet can grip the ground.

ShannonLe

Colfax
Maybe what your source was trying to explain is this: Tortoises that live on a hard slippery surface all the time often get splayed legs. That's just one of the many reasons torts should not live in the house on the floor. They need to be on substrate so their feet can grip the ground.
That might have been it. Thank you both!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I currently rescued a Russian Tortoise who is possibly 5-7 years old. Approximately 5" from end to end of shell. Her name is Clive (didn't know she was a female when we named her ;) ). We currently have her in a standard Tortoise house for now....wood is expensive at the moment. My question is her food dish. I read that it is good to get your tortoise to stretch their legs so they don't get splayed hips. I currently have a terracotta saucer (water catch for a terracotta pot). So she has to stretch herself over the edge to get her food. Is this good/ok or should she really be eating off of a slab?
This might help. Its the correct care info: