Foaming, and bubbly nose

Qibli the Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Today, when i went outside to check on my Sulcata Tortoise, his mouth was full of bubbles and he had dirt all over his shell. I really want to know, if this is dangerous, and I need to take him to the vet. or if I can do anything myself to help.
Spieces: Sulcata Tortoise (African Spurred Tortoise)
Weather when it happened: Sunny, around 92°F, AQI 105
My family adopt him, only last year, October 1, 2020

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Today, when i went outside to check on my Sulcata Tortoise, his mouth was full of bubbles and he had dirt all over his shell. I really want to know, if this is dangerous, and I need to take him to the vet. or if I can do anything myself to help.
Spieces: Sulcata Tortoise (African Spurred Tortoise)
Weather when it happened: Sunny, around 92°F, AQI 105
My family adopt him, only last year, October 1, 2020
Sounds like he overheated somehow. If he had dirt all over his shell that makes me think maybe he had flipped himself upside down somehow but managed to right himself before you found him. They can overheat really fast if they flip over.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Toddrickfl1. That's why I was wondering if he had shade and water.
If there is ever a thought of a tortoise over heating, get them out of the sun and into a soak. Then keep an eye on them to be sure they act normal.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Get him soaking in shallow water in a High sided container that he can not walk out of ASAP to rehydrate in a cool place and then provide fresh food in shady place and monitor closely.
Let us know how you get on. Bubbles can also be due to cold temperature but not sure that is applicable.
Read the care sheet and review enclosure and environment. Water must be provided and replenished twice a day in a dish he can walk in and out of and sit in also fresh food in the morning remaining in all day for grazing.

Qibli the Tortoise

New York
He had shade and water but he wasn't drinking the water, I put in a tub of water to soak in, gave him grass to eat, and he was actin pretty normal afterwards. I'll check on him during his feeding time, to see if he is eat normally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He had shade and water but he wasn't drinking the water, I put in a tub of water to soak in, gave him grass to eat, and he was actin pretty normal afterwards. I'll check on him during his feeding time, to see if he is eat normally.
That's what they do when they over heat.