Fluval Canister Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati Ohio
Hey everyone, I have a Fluval 205 Canister filter for my 40 gallon breeder tank. Right now it only has one goldfish in it. I was wondering if anyone else had a filter like this and if so what media do you use and in what order do you have it in to make your water as clear as you can? The water in my tank is always pretty clear but not crystal clear like I would like. In the end I would like to get a Loggerhead Musk Turtle but for now im staying with my one goldfish till I get moved.

Tyler

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I have a new setup 55 gallon long with a fluval 405. I just have the bio max rings and carbon in it like it came with. But it's kind of cloudy so I might try polishing pads and/or ammonia filter as well.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
I hear that the carbon does nothing unless you have used meds in the water, I'm thinking about taking it out of mine soon.

Tyler

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Smithen said:
I hear that the carbon does nothing unless you have used meds in the water, I'm thinking about taking it out of mine soon.

Tyler

I do maintenance on fish tanks at our local hospital and have had some experience with filters and I feel you definitely want to use carbon in your filter. Use what is called activated carbon because all carbon is not the same. If you do a web search you will find out more about carbon than you probably wanted to know.
It will help pull out some of the impurities and help with your water yellowing and smelling. Just remember that the carbon will need to be replaced non and then depending on the load of debris that is in your tank. also It is easier if you put your carbon in a mesh bag.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Well, I don’t think it’s a media problem but it’s more like your filter is working at its max capacity as the
Fluval 205 Canister filter is good for tanks up to 40 gallons. It also depends on the number of fish you have in your tank and the amount you feed them daily.

I have a seriously overstocked 170 gallon tank but the water is crystal clear as it’s “over-filtered” (Filters used are 2x Eheim 2260 & 1x 2078)

Media used are just coral chips and ceramic rings with just a layer of filter cotton right at the top. I also do a weekly water change of around 30%.

In my opinion carbon is really unnecessary. The only time I lost fish due to water quality was after I cleaned the coral chips resulting in a pH crash -_-“

And in case you are wondering what I have in my tank. I have 34 fishes (bigger ones (1 ft or more) include a Florida Gar, African Arowana, Salminus maxilosus, Lima catfish, Sturgeon Catfish, Endi, Retropinnis, Pike Cichlids, Crystal Eye Catfish etc) Not to mention my around 10 – 11” shell length Fly River Turtle and a 7-8” Mata Mata

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
I would also like to see that setup sometime if you dont mind, it sounds really nice. I have always liked Fly-River Turtles. I'm doing more work on the filter, right now its staying clear but not as clear as I would like. I plan on getting a Loggerhead Muck Turtle at some point so I am trying to make it as best as possible before I even start. Right now I only have one goldfish in it about 4".

Tyler

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Smithen said:
I would also like to see that setup sometime if you dont mind, it sounds really nice. I have always liked Fly-River Turtles. I'm doing more work on the filter, right now its staying clear but not as clear as I would like. I plan on getting a Loggerhead Muck Turtle at some point so I am trying to make it as best as possible before I even start. Right now I only have one goldfish in it about 4".

Tyler

2011-01-22085802.jpg

Taken from my cell so not a very good pic. Most of the fishes are hiding under the driftwood. The Mata Mata is also under the driftwood

Status
Not open for further replies.