Fluorescent or bulb for tortoise uvb

zovick

10 Year Member!
Just a strait forward question. What is better?

You should not use the coiled type of fluorescent bulb. They are known to damage the eyes of tortoises. It is best to use straight tube fluorescent bulbs. They come in many lengths and strengths. Depending on what type of tortoise you have, the strength of the bulb needed will vary. What species do you want to keep under the light?

The Tortoise Tree

Location (City and/or State)
Venus
You should not use the coiled type of fluorescent bulb. They are known to damage the eyes of tortoises. It is best to use straight tube fluorescent bulbs. They come in many lengths and strengths. Depending on what type of tortoise you have, the strength of the bulb needed will vary. What species do you want to keep under the light?

Thanks, I will be housing a red-foot

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks, I will be housing a red-foot
OK, in that case you should get a bulb with only 5.0 UVB rather than 10.0. The Redfoots do not need a lot of UVB so put the bulb at one end of the enclosure and leave the other end darker so the tortoise can feel as though he can get out of the light if he wants. In the wild, they live in heavily forested areas and not a lot of sunlight reaches the forest floor. This is why I am saying to give the tortoise a weaker UV bulb and not try to illuminate the entire enclosure with it.

Also Redfoot tortoises do not bask, so you really don't need a basking light for it.

The Tortoise Tree

Venus
OK, in that case you should get a bulb with only 5.0 UVB rather than 10.0. The Redfoots do not need a lot of UVB so put the bulb at one end of the enclosure and leave the other end darker so the tortoise can feel as though he can get out of the light if he wants. In the wild, they live in heavily forested areas and not a lot of sunlight reaches the forest floor. This is why I am saying to give the tortoise a weaker UV bulb and not try to illuminate the entire enclosure with it.

Also Redfoot tortoises do not bask, so you really don't need a basking light for it.
Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
High quality, reliable Redfoot UVB can be had for just $50 from BIG ALS PETS or LLL REPTILES.
This is an HO T5 "5.0" fixture with the tube included.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 3