Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have two male Florida soft shell turtles in my pond that I've had since they were hatchlings. They are now about the size of a dinner plate. Two years ago I lucked upon a guy who had a large female that he needed to re-home. She's about 18" long. She's been in my pond these past two years and I've never seen her. I figured she had climbed the 6' redwood fence and escaped. Then this spring I started noticing her "nose" just above the surface of the water when I was feeding the other turtles. Yippee! She's still in there! So this a.m. I went out there with turtle food, and happened to see this on the bank:

floridasoftshell.jpg

I know its not a great picture, but I had to run into the house for the camera...it wouldn't open...dead batteries...and by the time I changed the batteries and got back outside, she was in the tall grass. Right after I snapped this shot, she was back into the pond like a flash!

I'm thinking she was on the bank looking for a nesting spot!!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations Yvonne, fingers crossed for some little Florida soft shells soon

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very nice story Yvonne

I am happy she did not escape and that she still live in your pond.

I hope you will see some eggs in your pond soon :D

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
u thought she climbed a 6' fence...that was funny. i like the humor. i use to have 4 soft shell

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jasso2 said:
u thought she climbed a 6' fence...that was funny. i like the humor. i use to have 4 soft shell

Actually, it is quite possible for them to climb that high. However, the 2x4's that the pickets are nailed to are on the pond side and they wouldn't be able to climb around them. That does present quite a picture in your mind though, huh?

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How fun, softshell babies! :D Are you going to let the incubate where they are or bring them in (if and when she lays, which hopefully she does)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
How fun, softshell babies! :D Are you going to let the incubate where they are or bring them in (if and when she lays, which hopefully she does)

I'll just let nature take its course. They're pretty good at disguising their nest holes. Unless I see her digging, I doubt I'd be able to find it. At least I think so...I've never had soft shell eggs. But the Actinemys marmorata lay eggs all the time and I never see their nests.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.