Florida rainy season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Hello I have a question about humidity and Russian tortoises. My 6 month old RT lives full time in an outdoor enclosure in south florida. I have not owned her long and even though she arrived healthy enough she had never been out of a glass tank or eaten fresh food. Needless to say she is a very happy little thing in a very big enclosure. My concern is this, it is very very humid here and rains every day. As soon as it starts to cloud over she heads for her favorite hide box, which is convenient, as at this time of year the rains are considerable, then I simply pick up the hide box and bring her into the porch where she can roam around safety in the dry and watch the rain from there. I recently revamped an old dog crate which I attached to her grass enclosure. I filled it with dry organic soil/sand/mulch mix and placed her night hide in there, at least that way she gets some time off of the dewy swampy Florida soil. I should add this tortoise is active interactive and eating really well. I keep a very close eye on her shell and skin checking for mould rot soft spots etc. both her skin and shell have improved already in her more natural environment and even seem to have a slight sheen now. So am I being over paranoid? Are these little guys more adaptable and resilient than I give them credit for or should I been concerned since this is certainly no Russia! Thanks pic is early morning in the dog crate part, the rubber mat at the bottom is a temporary ramp into grassy enclosure, she is confined to this part for now as it drains best.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Hey promise I will leave you all alone after this! Haha here is a more lotus eye view taken from the other end of the temporary dryer digs. Back yard still swampy!

staticmap

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Setup looks great :) My Dad lives in Clearwater Florida and when it rains its torrential so if its like that where you live just make sure its burrow dosent flood while she is in it :)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Wow, I grew up right there offa horseshoe trace :) (Im in broward now)
Rainy rainy today!

I have a sulcata so I can't weigh in, but these days with the hurricane/tropical storm making life hellish outside, we have our girl inside in her indoor habitat. I noticed her outdoor space was 75% under water this morning :(

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Hi. Looks like we are neighbors. I live in Wellington also. We got 14 inches of rain today.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
image-2075492027.png

My outdoor enclosure! Tortoise indoors of course!

staticmap

I do not understand why I cannot add attachments. It's very frustrating. Will just be reading with interest but no more replies!

Attachments

• image-1405798993.png
    image-1405798993.png
    308 KB · Views: 14
  • image-1346292487.png
    image-1346292487.png
    301.4 KB · Views: 11

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
My Grandmother is still out there, she lives just east of 441, she said its still a mess. Deerfield hasnt gotten anything today!

Status
Not open for further replies.